How Early Can an Embryo Be Seen in an Ultrasound?

I just went to the doc yesterday to have an ultrasound to determine how far along I am in my pregnancy. I just had my son 9 months ago, I was breastfeeding exclusively, so I never had a period. I took a test last week and to my surprise, it was positive! My doc. confirmed that I was pregnant and requested I do an ultrasound to find out exactly how far along I was. When the technician was doing my ultrasound, we could not see the "baby" and she mentioned my gestational sac was very small and that I could be really early. For now, I have just been ordered to do blood work every other day so they can test my HCG levels. Does anyone know at how many weeks the baby could be seen in ultrasound or has anyone else ever had this happen?

Thank you everyone for your encouraging words and information. I spoke to my doc. today. My HCG levels are doubling like they are suppose to. On Mon. my levels read 1582 and then by Wed. they were 3321. I have another ultrasound scheduled for next Tues. He said we should be able to get a better indication of how far along I am then. This was a relief to hear. This baby was certainly a surprise but obviously something I really wanted deep down. Thanks again!

I had an ultrasound done at 5 1/2 weeks. I was having some bleeding so my doctor did one. We saw the sac and everything was fine. I now have a beautiful little boy.

My 5 week old was conceived 8/12 and I had a positive home test by Labor Day. I had some abdominal pain, but the doc said he could see 'something' but wouldn't confirm a pregnancy until he saw a heartbeat. Two weeks later, no luck. End of September, they heard the heartbeat. So about 6-7 weeks.

I just found out monday that I'm pregnant... and the doctor said it was too early to do an ultrasound... we are doing one in 2 weeks.. and so they did blood work and said I'm about 3-4 weeks pregnant... so you're fine don't worry!

Cindy D is correct. As of now your MD is doing the right things.

I wasn't sure how far along I was when I started having cramping and bleeding. I went to the ER where they did several tests including an ultrasound. The technician couldn't see anything so she did a vaginal ultrasound. At that point she was able to tell me I was 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant. A blood test confirmed that timeline. I then bled for a month! So I did blood tests every couple of days for 3 weeks. The blood tests are very accurate so as long as those are coming up with elevated levels, you should be fine. Vaginal ultrasounds are not cheap but if you are really concerned with how far along you are, you could ask for one of them. Good luck and congratulations!

I'm no doctor, but I wonder if just having had a baby, so to speak, is the reason why it's so hard to see. If I remember correctly, my first baby showed up on the ultrasound around 5 weeks. I was taking fertility treatments so I was getting "ultrasounded" with every checkup.

All that you are being told is correct AND it also depends on the quality of the ultrasound machine.

Congratulations!!!!!! My doctor could see mine at 7 weeks!

usually the guide is 5 weeks. Unless its twins then its like 6-7 weeks. I know bc I just went thru this in august. Same thing happenend to me and finally we were able to see the little thing. it drove me nuts with worry. But I forgot that with my first child I didn't even know I was pregnant until 6 weeks along. That's how busy I was. Good luck.

1 / 3