How Early Can a Pelvic Ultrasound Detect a Pregnancy?

So if you read my last post, you know that I am worried about being pregnant even though the chances of me being pregnant are REALLY low (Read my last post for more details).

I had a doctor's appointment on Friday and they ran a pregnancy test for me (Urine not blood). It came back negative. That should make me feel great, right? Wrong. I can't shake that feeling that I'm pregnant.

Anyways, I'm having a pelvic ultrasound this morning for an unrelated issue (7 months after giving birth I'm finally complaining about some complications. They didn't find anything during a regular exam so they are doing a pelvic ultrasound to see if they can find anything that way). I'm wondering, if I am pregnant, will the technician be able to see it?

I don't even know how far along I would be. I had sex 2 weeks ago and 4-5 weeks ago, but my periods are all crazy due to either birth control or a pregnancy so I have no idea which time got me.

I know, I know... Worrying over nothing. But on the very slight chance that I am pregnant, would this ultrasound be able to detect it? I really don't want to keep bugging my doctor for more pregnancy tests (Like I said, it took me 7 months to complain about a complication from giving birth). At the same time I feel bad because I'm still taking birth control (My doctor made me switch from the shot to the patch. I put my first patch on yesterday), and I obviously don't want to do that if I'm pregnant.

The ultrasound tech looked and didn't see anything. She said that if I'm early than 4-5 weeks, then she wouldn't be able to.

Ugh! Even after a negative pregnancy test and this ultrasound, I still 'feel' pregnant. I don't have any symptoms other than the weird periods. This is how I know that I am related to my grandma... That woman can turn a bump into cancer within 30 seconds. Lol

They can't really see anything until about 18 weeks by doing it outside the body. They can get an image at even 6-8 weeks by doing a vaginal ultrasound. They did this with my daughter when she had had a miscarriage. She was not yet 12 weeks and they couldn't detect a fetus but did the vaginal one and there was the twin that had't been lost.

When I was pregnant with my first child I thought I was farther along than I was so the Dr got me in like a week later and they couldn't see the baby so we waited 3 more weeks. When I went the first time I was only 2 weeks 5days but my bloodwork had come back positive. Also whith my last pregnancy I tested negative and my period still didn't start 2 weeks later I went back to the doc for another one and it was positive. I would say if you had bloodwork you aren't prego but I am not a dr so it's always possible to be prego when you are having sex even with birthcontrol. Hard to say if the tech will see a baby depends on how far you are.

i can't tell you how often i have been sure i was pregnant. ;). ever since i had my son, even though i have had a tubal, there are a few times a year that i have thought "i know i'm pregnant." there was even a while that, even though i still was having my period, it felt like i was having kicking in my stomach. i'm assumng it was gas, but i could even see my belly getting "kicked" and felt like something was up under my ribs. however, it's been 4 almost 5 yrs and i haven't had another baby. chances are you aren't pregnant.

We have pics of my daughter at 4 weeks--basically a dot. They can see the eggs develop during fertility treatment... so a good tech with a good enough u/s machine can tell very early.

I was having irregular cycles before conceiving my second. My Dr. had said she wanted to do an ultrasound to check for cysts. When she told me it may mean I wasn't ovulating, I totally freaked and had sex a ton before the ultrasound scheduled a few weeks out. At the ultrasound, the tech saw a "sack of cells!" I was so excited! I think at that point I was about a week and a half late, although my cycle had been wacky and unpredictable...

Mine was detected so early they made me wait another month to go back and do all technical stuff.

it detected mine at 4 weeks

Ummm....I'm sorry but if you think you might be pregnant you should not have the patch on! Use condoms until you a. Find out you are pregnant for sure or b. Start your period.

As for your question I have no idea.

Ask you doctor to do a blood pregnancy test. It will detect any increase in your HCG level. And if make sure you are using condoms until you get this resolved.
A vaginal ultrasound may pick up an early pregnancy, ask the tech to look, just in case.
And stop worrying about bugging your doctor, you have a right to peace of mind and he/she should be happy to provide you with it.

well if you would only be about 8-10 weeks along, an ultrasound through the abdomin probably won't find anything. when i was 8 weeks with my first, they did an endovaginal one, not an abdominal one because it wouldn't show anything when you're less than like 12 or 14 weeks along, i think the nurse said. if it still shows nothing, and yet you're really still feeling like you are, push for a blood test. only in rare instances are those ever wrong, and then you'll know for sure if you are or not.

1 / 3