How Do You Wash Your Pillows?

Hi, I have been wondering if anyone knows how to clean their pillows without destroying them. When I wash our pillows, they're fine, but when I dry them they get clumpy. I'm talking about pillows that you sleep on, not the decorative pillows. Is there a secret to what can be done to keep pillows clean without getting them clumpy? Also, I've tried just air-drying them but then they stink, probably from taking so long to dry. What do you know about the art of pillow cleaning? :) Thank you!

As most everyone has suggested, use tennis balls in the dryer (at least three). I have expensive down pillows on my bed (4) and wash them at least at three months - sometimes more. The cheap pillows (2 for 7.00 at Garden Ridge) will also come out lumpy if you don't use tennis balls. The tennis balls work wonders with regular comforters and my down comforter in the dryer. Another suggestion is to fold cheap pillows in half and wrap with one of those monster sized rubber bands and dry on low but for a longer time period. This keeps the filling from shifting (trick I learned from working at a laundromat when I was a kid). Good luck!

I wash them on a hand-wash cycle. I used to wash them on a normal cycle and they would always come out lumpy. Washing on a slower cycle seemed to keep this from happening.

Buy some more. They are $3-$4 at Wal-mart. By the time you hassle with cleaning them, the detergent, the energy, the effort - - - just get yourself some new, yummy pillows.

If you can stand the noise try putting 2 tennis balls in the dryer with your pillows or invest in some of those dryer balls. (I've seen them at Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond for around $10, but a can of tennis balls is much cheaper!!) The tennis balls bounce and fluff your pillows while they dry and it keeps them from getting all lumpy. The only downfall is listening to the "bump" noises for 30-45 minutes as they dry.

wash in your washing machine and put in dryer w/ a few tennis balls to get the clumps out!!

Wash the pillows like you would normally do. When you put them in the dryer put a couple of tennis balls in there with them and that will keep them fluffy.

Have you can use one of 2 things on them you could spray them with the lysol linnen spray that is a germ killer smells great on the pillows. Or you could always do them in the dryer with the dryel stuff but on that end you would only get one pillow in the bag at a time.

Well, one thing you can do is throw two or three tennis balls in with the pillows they beat the pillows while they are drying and this keeps them fluffly. This works real well with down confortors to.
And if that doesn't work you should take them to the laundry mat and use the big dryers with the shelf in them.
Hope this helps!

1 / 3