How Do You Wash Baby's Hair Without Getting Water in His Eyes?

What am I missing? My baby is 4 months and doesn't sit on his own yet, but in his slanty little baby tub he holds his head quite straight. I have been getting water and shampoo in his eyes recently no matter how hard I try not to, and he starts to cry and I feel terrible. The tub is Fisher Price- seems pretty standard and it fits in the kitchen sink. Is there a trick? They should make some kind of visor to keep water out of babies' eyes!

Thanks, all! I am totally getting one of those visors; I didn't know they existed! Although my baby doesn't have much hair, he does get cradle cap, so I need to clean his head thoroughly.

Hi - at that age I wouldn't use too much water or shampoo. I wet a washcloth and wring it out. Add a small dab of shampoo and just rub it around the hair. Even with minimal water/shampoo, there is enough lather to clean hair. I then rinse the cloth with water and wring it again, then wipe off the shampoo front to back. With this minimal water/shampoo nothing should be running into eyes or elsewhere at all. Then use a clean washrag wet with clean water to do a final wipe on hair and wash off any remaining shampoo.

Since you are using the sink, does that mean you are using the sprayer? If so I would avoid that and use method above. I think it is too much water for this age. Good luck!

They do (or did) make a visor to keep water out of their eyes. When mine were young l held a folded wash cloth on their forehead while I rinsed.

If he is 4 months...how long is his hair? At 4 months, saturating and scrubbing with shampoo and the sort is not necessary. I damp, warm, sudsy washcloth gently rubbed, then a warm, clean rinse cloth is all that is needed.
AND, other than a clean "wipe", washing a baby's hair isnt really all that necessary....they sleep, eat, poop, sleep, eat, poop, sleep, eat, poop....

....now, the OTHER end of the body!?! thats a whole other question!!!

They do make visors for that.

My daughter had/s cradle cap too. For her, scrubbing the shampoo with a baby brush has worked really well. Rinsing I always came from behind with a pitcher of water. She would look up at the pitcher enough that the water would even go near her eyes - kind of like a salon sink. GL!

I got an attachment to the tub that was like the hand held shower heads for baby ... it was very gentle and much easier to control the water flow/direction.

I just use a wash cloth with a tiny amount of soap and wipe his head down with that.

Get one of those visors with a big brim made for this purpose - it shields his eyes and lets you pour tons of water on his head while it runs off the back. Either that or play peek-a-boo with a washcloth - if he'll let you - and rinse quickly. Or just cut back the amount of shampoo and rinse with a damp cloth. His hair probably doesn't get all that dirty most of the time anyway.

1 / 3