How Do You Teach Your Child to Put the Shoe on the Correct Foot

Hello,

Is there anyone that has a unique way of teaching your child to put their shoes on the correct way. I have an almost 5 year old boy that always seems to put his shoes on the wrong feet. Also, when do kids learn to tie their shoes on their own?

Thank you all for your input. This definitely will help and I am going to get started today. He catches on fast, but with having twins it is always faster and easier if I just do it, but I need to stop that!!

I teach my class to tie shoes in my pre-K class. First of all, it takes several months of steady practice. Teach him one step at a time. Have him learn to cross the strings and pull. When he masters that, go on to the next step. The hardest part is the last few. Some kids learn better with making two loops and crossing them, some learn better the other way. Also, a great tool is a learn to tie shoe. We have one we got from scholastic that is a cardboard shoe with laces which are colored. What I mean is, one string is red, one is blue so it is easier to keep track. I believe there is a book called Red Lace Yellow lace which does the same thing.

That being said, my own kindergartener has not mastered the skill and really has no interest in it, but his school doesn't care since he wears velcro shoes. ;-)

Tuesday my son and I are going shopping to buy new shoes and they will be the kind that ties. How else can I teach him. He is pretty used to the velcro, and which way they go he has been dressing himself correctly for a while now. They dont even remark on his progress reports from school about the shoe tying. He doesn't have a clue but I'll let you know how it goes. My granddaughter is 3 and doesn't care which way her shoes are on.

We put a colored spot on the inside of the left shoe. He was to look at the shoes and tell me which one went on which foot before he put them on in the morning, afternoon, or whenever. He got it.
We worked on tying shoes a variety of ways. We had contests where we spent about 5 minutes a day tying things in neat bows like you would tie your shoes Yarn around clothes pins, dangling toys for the cats to door knobs, and tying shoes placed in front of us as if they were on our feet or some one else's feet. After a bout a week my children could tie their own shoes.
Winner of the contests got to pick out a special snack or a golden book story to read or a 1/2 show to watch.

Put an R or red/black dot, etc. on the right shoe and his right foot/sock until he's got it down. You can eliminate the right marking on foot/sock sooner by shaking his right hand or squeezing it lightly every day so he associates the right side with the right shoe with the marking. His brain will automaticaly recall the feeling of shake/squeeze on his right hand. Then it's just a matter of knowing to start with the right shoe, the marked shoe, that goes with the squeezed side. It does work.

Are there any special markings that are on the outside of the shoe? When we are working on getting shoes on the correct feet, we make sure to buy them shoes that have something on the outside, then we can say that spiderman (or the flower, the green stripe, whatever) needs to be on the outside, they don't like to look at each other, they like to see what's going on! This seemed to help all of our kids with getting their shoes on correctly.
Worked with us!
~J.

Most schools start teaching and asking that you help your kids tie their shoes, learn address and phone number in K-5. One trick I did with my daughter was to put the shoes together, if you see the hole in the center (the gap for arches), it's right, if you put them together and there is no gap, they are wrong. Good Luck!

When I'm dressing or bathing/drying my 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 year olds, I talk about the concept of right and left. Now that they sort of understand it, I showed them how to put their hands in front of them and make an "L" with their index finger and thumb on each hand. Then I write L & R on the bottom or insides of each shoe. I ask them to tell me which one is the correct "L" and which is the backwards "L" and they usually get it right now. When they are putting on their shoes, we do/talk about the "L's" and that helps them. It's not 100% yet, but it works better each time. Good luck!

I know lots of little kids with smiley faces on the insides of the shoes. If they "kiss" they are on the right feet. :-)

As for tying shoes... our son was in kindergarten last year (less than 2 months after he turned 5). One of the skills they were expected to master by the end of the year was tying their shoes. Most kids got it by the middle of the year but a few took until spring. I was surprised to learn that out of the 25 kids in the class, only a few (my son included) could tie their shoes when school started. They told everyone during the kindergarten registration in the spring to work on it and teach their kids over the summer.

It can take a few months to learn. Some kids just don't have the fine motor skills developed to do it yet. My son 'read' a book called "What Will I Do If I Can't Tie My Shoe" from Scholastic books. The step-by-step pictures and rhyme made it easy for him.

Try putting a dot where the big toe goes on the front edge of each shoe so he can put it on the correct foot....all about the big toe :)

OR- point out the arch on the inside of each shoe, then show him his on his foot, and tell them they need to match up.....

OR- draw on the insole of each shoe- maybe take a perm. marker and make half a smiley face inside each (starting from the center of the shoe to the inside), so when they are on the correct side- the face comes close together.... :)

OR- my 7 year old just recommended writing his name- half inside the left, then the other half inside the right...so it will be in order when they are in the proper place...(good one sis!) :)

About tying their own shoes...my daughter was 4, but I think it is about when are they ready to learn...they are all little individuals. I had noticed that she taught a lot of other kids and the parents said that their kid learned from my child rather than themselves...so I guess the other kid was just more interested in learning from another kid.

Good Luck & God Bless,

A.

1 / 3