How Do You Steam Carrots??

I tried steaming some carrots in the microwave and they became shriveled and dry. How much water should I put? Does it matter how many carrots I put in? If I put too much water will the nutrients seep out?? Thanks!!

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it! Sounds so simple!

Microwaving them seeps out more nutrients than anything else. To steam carrots, get a steamer to put over boiling water and cook the carrots until they're tender, but still bright orange. Their color is the best indicator of their nutrients because beta-carotene is what makes them orange, so the more orange the better!

Try Ziploc Zip'n steam bags. The vegetables taste great and no need for any extra pots or water. Carrots take only about 5 to 6 minutes depending on the type you are using. I also steam frozen vegetables in these baggies as well. You can add whatever type of seasoning you like and no mess. The directions are on the baggies and you can even steam seafood, poultry and meats. You can find these baggies where ever the foil and plastic wrap is located. I have found them cheap at WalMart. Good luck!

Microwave veggies suck. Gross texture and bad flavor. Get a steam basket (or use a pasta pot - that's what I use) and put in in a big pot with water underneath and let the steam do its work.

** NOTE**
Once you have your water hot and going at full boil - you can steam other veggies too. I do carrots, and then broccoli, and then cauliflower - or whatever. If the water is hot, take advantage of the time it takes to get it that way and steam as much as you can! I usually don't steam different veggies all at one time because they cook at different rates but I use that hot water until there is nothing left to steam or no water left!! Total time saver!!

You've already gotten some good advice about alternate steaming methods. I just wanted to add that because of their high mineral content fresh carrots can actually create sparks in the microwave. Slightly dangerous and very creepy.

Hi-
First, steam things all you want in the microwave.
Second, I've never had carrots "spark" in there from the minerals in them...lots of foods have minerals.
Third, the shredding idea would probably work, though it seems like a lot of work.
because
Fourth, carrots just take a long time to get soft. So figuring out the amount of water would be crucial (if you use the cooking water with the vegetable to mash it up, you aren't losing any vitamins, btw), so
Fifth, steaming in a steaming basket on the stove lets you check them for softness, and won't let them burn, so that's probably the easiest way to do it.

Normally what I do with carrots is shred them and put about an inch or so of water in the bottom of the pan and cook them on the stove covered. They keep their color and are quite tasty.

I do this: in a large pyrex bowl, empty a bag of prepared carrots, add a little sea salt, then add a lot of chicken broth (maybe until they are 1/2 covered), then cover with a pyrex plate and zap for 8 minutes. (they sell covered glass casseroles that you could use, I just haven't gotten one). The carrots on top always look dry, but then I stir them and make sure all are moist. They aren't usually shriveled/overcooked, but if some of the carrots are smaller they will get shriveled. The key is having them all be about the same size so that they cook evenly. I then add the chicken broth to another dish so no wasted nutrients.

PS to all you sanctimommys out there, eating microwaved veggies is better than not eating any, and they are much quicker. You might notice that the water under your steam basket changes color after steaming--nutrient seep. Try not to be so judgemental. This is supposed to be a place to support each other.

it's just as easy and better on the stovetop. just put a little water in a pot and drop the carrots in, cover and in no time they are done. or get a steam basket that sits in the water and cover and steam them that way. i try to avoid the micro unless i really need to reheat something but i never cook anything in it. i think a lot of nutrients are lost in the micro and the radiowaves going into the food freaks me out. good luck!

1 / 3