How Do You Start a Diet?

I've never had to diet before. Before my first son, I weighed 110 lbs. After he was born I did nothing to lose the weight. (big mistake and I hated the way I felt) Then I got pregnant again and I'm determined to get back in shape! My question is, How do you start a diet? Is there a diet out there that is better than another? How do you stick with it? Any suggestions or tips would be great!

I love Weight Watchers- it is not a diet, it is a lifestyle. I did it online and never went to meetings. I also got into Spark people on-line. I was into that before I got pregnant with #2, and after I hit goal with Weight Watchers. Spark is free. Weight Watchers has fees.

I am enjoying the book "You on a Diet" one of the authors is Dr. Oz. the book makes a lot of sense and has been helpful.

I think if you start a diet, which is completely different from your habits now, you probably won't stick to it. I lost the weight by making small changes, it did take some time. Once I felt comfortable about keeping the change as part of my routine, I went to the next step. Example: I starting by stopping the soda, then I started walking on the treadmill, then I slowed down on the fast food and try to order healthier items, etc. I know when I tried a "diet" I just could stick to it.

i've just in the last couple of days started on sparkpeople.com so far i really like it, and it's completely free!! it helps you track food/nutrition info, working out/calories burned, helps set goals and is a whole on-line (with looks like some local opts) group of support. There's seems to be a whole lot more to it, i just haven't explored everything yet!

If you have the time, I lost about 35 lbs on a diet using a book called "The Formula" by Gene and Joyce Daoust. It has exact personalized meals and very easy to follow. I say if you have time because obviously you have to measure out your food and everything is fresh. I loved it though...might try to start up again. Nice thing is it teaches you a way of life rather than just a quick fix. All meals are balanced, similar to South Beach.

My boy just turned 3 and my twin girls just turned 2. I finally found a weight loss tool that is working for me to finally shed those 'baby' pounds. Since I had my children so close together there wasn't a chance to lose the first pregnancy pounds before adding on the twin pregnancy pounds. I tried various diets/exercise for the two years only losing about 10lbs. Finally I was introduced to the 'bodybugg' device by my brother-n-law. It is worn on your arm and counts your calories 'burned' every minute of the day. Then you download it on the computer and add the calories you 'consumed'on the online portion of the program and it will show you a deficit or surplus in calories. The main thing is to always have a deficit. More calories out than in and you will loss weight. I have been using it for two months and dropped 16lbs...finally. Only 30 more to go! There is an upfront cost to get the device, but I found it to be very accurate and 'popular science' magazine said it has 96% accuracy. It kind of becomes like a game. I always wanted to burn more than I take in, and see if you can meet your steps requirement (it tracks steps taken and physical activity). My brother-n-law said it is a pedometer on steroids. he is a physical trainer and swears by it. The main thing it is teaching me what home based activities help me burn calories to lose the weight. Laundry burns lots of calories as well as giving the 3 kiddos a bath, not to mention sweeping floor. So instead of the gym, I make sure to do more around the house and enjoy it, which fits my schedule a lot easier working full time... who has time to actually get to a gym?... It is also teaching me how to eat better and make a lifestyle change, which foods I can eat and how much is a proper serving without maxing out my daily intake on apple pie! It is working for me and thought I would share it since I haven't had success till now in the weight loss area. if you have questions please feel free to email me or check it out at bodybugg.com or myapex.com if you have questions.
(actually now that I think about this, i think the 'biggest loser' contests wear this on their arm too...)
Either way good luck with the fun journey of weight loss!

Hi B.!

Diets are for the birds!

You have to have discipline! You have to watch what you eat and treat your body like the temple it is. We are the food we eat!

When we eat poorly, it shows up in our thighs, hips and stomach! LOL! Too bad it doesn't enhance the areas we would like it to! LOL!

But anyways, I am part of a on-line program that puts together a plan for me. I enter my excercies and foods that i eat and it calculates my steps. It puts together a grocery list for me, it also puts together meals and recipes for me! It tells me if i go out to eat what I can have to keep my calories within my daily needs. It has chat rooms where i can go in and chat with other people, doctors etc.

It's a great way to track YOUR progress in the privacy of your own home. It costs $6.00 a month and to be my health is worth $6.00! It's been wonderful.

Don't know if it's something you feel you could do at home, but it's helped me tremendously!

All the best to you!

Its very simple to diet... you need to eat less calories than you burn during the day. Its just not easy so you need to figure out what works for you. Myfooddiary.com is a great site to keep track of your daily calories.

You also want to increase your activity during the day.
This can be as simple as going for a brisk walk for 20-30 minutes a day, or joining a gym. If you've never worked out before, take it easy at first and find something you really like to do. That helps too.

But if losing weight was easy, there would be nobody overweight. I find letting all my friends and family know about it helps so that they are hopefully less inclined to offer you stuff you don't want. Good luck!

B., These days, everyone's an expert when it comes to the best way to lose weight. If one fad diet doesn't work, there are a hundred more to try. But why waste any time and money on unproven, unsafe, fad diets? Wouldn't it be better, safer and more efficient to use a weight-management system based more on scientific research than trend-setting hype?
If you would like I can give you Colleen's number, a trained transitions rep. Or if you would like you could check it out at http://www.marketamerica.com/pamrorman/category-91/weight...
I know they have a 12 week program also but Colleen would know more about that.
The Transitions Lifestyle System® is composed of a multifaceted approach to healthy living through low-glycemic eating, stress reduction and exercise. Dietary supplements, delicious shakes and bars, healthy entrees, and supplemental materials full of advice and suggestions all support you on your way toward achieving your goals. It's time to make the transition to healthy living.
P.

1 / 3