How Do You Safely Store Clothes?

We're putting our house on the market and preparing for a move. We're going to be putting a bunch of clothes, linens, and stuff into storage for decluttering purposes and because our new house will take about 6 months to build. My question to all you wonderful mommies is: how do I store clothes safely so that when I get back into the box they aren't all moldy smelling?

The space saver bags work great, pack them on top of eath other in a box. They will be air tight and water proof etc. That has worked great for me.

I would suggest large plastic tubs that tightly seal and then there is always those really big bags that you let the air out of. I hear they are marvelous.
Good luck and blessings

We are doing the same thing right now. We are using plastic bins and putting them in a climate-controlled storage room. It's not cheap, but it seems to be the best option for us. We do visit the room frequently to make sure everything if fine and to make sure the temperature is at its promised level. So far, everything's been fine.

space bags...so worth it.
take up so much less space and no bugs or dirt can get in them.

I wash all the clothes that I store then I put them in space bags. Some suggest not putting them in plastic, but with space bags, you vacuum all the air out.

I use vacuum bags, the quality isnt always great, but when they work, it's perfect (a couple of bags will hold the content of a large plastic bin). We have tons of clothes, I have been keeping our daughter's clothes in case we have another girl and I stick the bags on the shelves in the closets or under the beds.

We spent time overseas and we made sure to get a storage unit that was air controlled. This made a BIG difference for our belongings (I have experience with storage units as we used to travel for months at a time).

I hope this helps
A.

Wash in the hottest water safe for the fabrics, double rinse, no fabric softener/sheets. Store in plastic bins/space bags. Plan on washing again when you unpack everything--add a cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle if you feel like they are musty.

Personal experience: DON'T put a dryer sheet in the storage containers, especially if they are not going into climate-controlled storage. They can (and probably will) permanently stain your textiles.

Store them in plastic bins, not boxes. I have been storing my kids' clothes in the attic this way for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems with it at all. Congrats on the new house and good luck!

invest in those space-saver bags, where you put the clothes/linens/etc. in and then use the hose attachment on your vacuum to suck out all the air! it will save you lots of space in storage, too!

I like the Space Bags. All the air is sucked out of the bag so they take up so little room. Unless the bag is punctured, they are also waterproof. I suggest sprinkling a little baking soda in the bag with the clothes to absorb any moisture still in the clothes before sealing up. Then you could store out of season clothing/linens after you're in the new house. Congrats!

1 / 3