How Do You Remove Nail Polish from a Hard Wood Floor??

My two year old got into his sisters BLUE nail polish and spilled it on our hardwood floor. I have tried to steam clean it, and it did work on the paint he spilled. But not the polish. I can't use polish remover, it will eat away the coating on the floor. I would really love some advice on how to remove this. Thanks!!

I got this from http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=2006091806071...

There are non-acetone nail polish removers. Try buying some and try using it on an area of the floor that won't show first. Only use enough to dampen a soft cloth. Then, if it doesn't take the finish off, work slowly and gently over the polish without trying to get any on the rest of the floor. If non-acetone remover isn't strong enough and the stain is very noticable, you might have to go with the stonger type of remover. If the finish ends up coming off, you can try to match it with something like Polystain. Use thin coats, applied with a sponge brush, and sand with very fine (220 grit) sandpaper between coats to smooth and level it. It may not come out perfect, but it will porbably be a lot less noticable than the nail polish stain.

I'm not sure what this would do to a hard wood floor...but... I was able to take nail polish off a bathroom vanity cabinet (top) with hairspray. Weird I know. But I sprayed it on there and was able to get it off. Not sure why, but hairspray takes ink out, so... go figure. good luck!

Magic eraser works on EVERYTHING!

If it were me, I would take a q-tip and put polish remover on it and put on the polish only. This may take a long long time and alot of patients... being extremely careful to not touch the floor.
OR
I would see if I could take something like a putty knife and scrape it very easily to see if I could loosen it at all. Sometimes if you get it up on one side, polish will peel up the rest of the way.

This question was asked over a year ago elsewhere....here's a link to the Yahoo thread with several suggestions. Good point: consider whether you have actual hardwood or pergo or fabricated hardwood before deciding on a point of action :)

link here:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=2006091806071...

I also found this through wiki DIY:
Nail Polish Stains: On resilient flooring, rub with a cloth dampened in a concentrated detergent solution, or use scouring powder, water and a plastic mesh pad. On wood and cork, rub gently with steel wool. After removing a stain, rinse the area thoroughly, dry completely, and, if floor finish has been removed in that area, recoat with appropriate finish or wax.

Nail polish will bind with many finishes, making it difficult to remove without also removing the finish. The trick is to remove the stain without removing all the layers of surface finish. Try Murphy wood cleaner and plastic scouring pads. Stubborn stains may be approached by rubbing gently with fine steel wool and wood floor cleaner like Murphy® Oil Soap.

Afterwards, rinse and dry the area. If floor finish or wax has been removed in that area, you may need to recoat with appropriate finish or wax.

My two year old did the same thing. After trying everything, I decided to use Nail polish remover. I did not rub it on thickly. I just blotted it, hoping to not remove the clear coat finish on the floor. It actually worked. It took time and patience but it is all up and there is no trace of it ever even being there. I hope you get some better choices. I tried for months and it was in a very noticable spot.

My daughter also spilled blue nail polish. I let it sit for over a week until I had time to look up removal ideas. I had no luck with Magic Eraser, hairspray, shaving cream, or regular cleaners. I love Solumel, but wouldn't dare try it on my wood floors, as, I my experience it degrades wood finishes. What finally ended up working was using an Oxyclean paste on the floor, letting it sit about 10 minutes, and then using a tooth brush and a little elbow grease... It came right off. The only draw back, was that when the Oxy clean dried, I had to vacuum up some white powder residue.

1 / 3