How Do You Make Money off Your Kids Old Clothes? Other than Thread-up...

What else have your tried? Is craigslist the way to go? A resale shop like Once Upon a Child or something?

We donate to the women's shelter and places like that where the children appreciate the Abercrombie and "in" clothes.

We feel good about donating to someone who appreciates it and we get a tax deduction!

Keep in mind... Time = $$

I consign everything from childrens clothing to my clothing, to houseware items. I've made a lot of money from consignment shops and believe me, when you save it and add it up at the end of the year, it's a lot. I'm a full time SAHM with 3 children and another due in two weeks. I miss my financial independence and in todays economy, especially on one income, I put all my priorities to the test: NEEDS vs. WANTS. My "wants" list seems to get longer every year so when I consign things, I save that money and use it when I have enough saved to buy what I want because I know that we would not be able to buy it out right.

I have also sold many things, including childrens clothes on Ebay. I've never tried Craigslist as I am a bit apprehensive about meeting with people I don't know and I personally believe Ebay is a safer alternative.

I don't, I donate all of ours to the woman and families homeless shelter and the local domestic violence safe house so I know they are going to children who really need and appreciate them.

Keep in mind... Time = $$

I have found that eBay is better than craigslist for higher end stuff that I've sold.

Established consignment SALES that pop up once or twice a year. You get to set your own prices and typically keep 70% of your sales.

I do a garage sale, after that I bundle them up and do as a LOT on craigslist...the lots will be "5 carters pjs size 2T" or "4 shorts and 4 shirts"

Usually on my CL post I will say at the end "check out my other lists by typing in the search word ILLUSHPA" or something different...chances are if someone is going to buy your clothes listed, they are looking for more than just the jammies and may want to make a deal on all of it.
Takes time but so does the resales shops..Once upon a child is a rip off in my opinion. they give you like .5 cents for a onsie.

Check the site consignmentmommies.com
YOu can see sales in your area and look to register as consigner. There are often wait lists, so look now for fall sales, most of the spring ones are over or will be in next few weeks.
YOu will take home 60-70% of your sales depending on the sale and if you volunteer.
anything that is not sold you have option in most sales of having them donate the items for you , so best of both worlds

craigslist, ebay, consignment stores and garage sales

1 / 3