How Do You Know If Your Water Is Leaking?

Hi moms,
I'm 32 weeks pregnant with my second baby. How would you know if your water was leaking? Sorry for the TMI... I just noticed that my pants were wet but not sure if I peed without being aware of it or if I should be concerned about my water leaking. It didn't smell like pee though. Is there an easy way to find out? Should I just not worry unless it happens again? Thank you in advance for your help.

Thank you all so much for responding and talking me into going to the doctor!! I got checked out and it wasn't my water, but am glad not to have to worry for now.

Hi G.,
It never hurts to let your doctor or midwife know! It's possible that you can have a small leak which then repairs itself - if your pants were a little wet and you have no further leakage, then that could be the case, and the tear has sealed itself, so no risk of infection or need to induce labor. Your doctor can do a test where he swabs the area and tests on a special paper to determine whether the fluid is or is not amniotic fluid. It is also normal to have an increase in vaginal discharge

Call your OB ASAP and tell them and see what they say. They may want to see you right away. Better safe than sorry. A.

I would call the dr. If your water is leaking the baby should be delivered within a the next few days, to avoid infection. They have a simple test they can do to tell whether or not the liquid is amniotic fluid. Either in the hospital or the drs office.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Good Luck !!!

Call your doctor ASAP. They can test the fluid to see if it's amniotic fluid....

This could very dangerous, I would see your doctor right away.I rather look silly, then my baby be in any danger. Good Luck! :)

Hi G.
If your pants were wet and you don't know why, call the OB. Let them check and be sure. Better safe than sorry.
If in doubt protect baby by calling.
God bless you and your family.
Keep me updated
K. SAHM -- married 38 years--- adult children

Please go to OB now. I had the same thing with my first child. I thought I was urinating but didn't smell like it so I called the office and they wanted me in there right away and come to find out my water broke but just leaking at his point. My water broke a day before I was going into 35 weeks and my child came the next night the first night of 35 weeks. To prevent infection and so forth....go!! Please let us know how it turned out and I would love to see the picture(s) if possible. Ijust love it when babies are born including my own!!

CALL YOUR DOCTOR. If it is before office hours have him/her paged. It is extremely important that you are not leaking.

1 / 3