How Do You Grow Hydrangeas?

PLEASE HELP! My mom passed away two years ago this coming October. On my husband and I's anniversary that year, she and my husband both got me a beautiful hydrangeas plant. Since then, they both have stayed approximately the original size and only bloom about 2 or 3 flowers a year. I see other peoples hydrangeas and they are spectacular, changing colors, huge blooms, deepest green leaves.

I know nothing about these plants. I want them to last forever as rememberance of the precious time she and I had together when she was still living and to always be reminded of my husbands love for me as well.

WOW! What incredible feedback! Thank you everyone. I am definitely going to move my hydrangeas to the north end of the house. I think they are in the wrong type of soil and aren't getting enough shade. I sent each and every one of you a flower to thank you for your wisdom. My mother-in-law taught me that we should give flowers to those who are a blessing to us while they're living and not after they're gone. God Bless, T. S

I have had the best luck with hydrangeas on the North side of the house. They typically like the more shaded, cooler areas and the North side seems to meet that criteria. Generally the first year or two they do not grow quite as big; however, a couple of mine have been in the ground for 3 years now and are doing great. Feed them miracle grow hydrangea fertilizer and keep the soil moist but not too wet. Good luck. FYI: To change the color of the blossoms, put a rusted nail by the plant. It changes the acidity of the soil.

Most hydrangeas enjoy morning sunlight with peppery afternoon shade.
Keep your hydrangeas growing happily with a nice layer of mulch around the base of the plant.
Only prune your hydrangea to remove dead wood or to shape the plant after it has bloomed.
Aluminum sulfate may be added to the soil around your hydrangea plants to turn pink hydrangeas blue.
Lime may be added to the soil around your hydrangeas to turn blue hydrangea blooms pink in color.
Adding a balanced fertilizer late in the Winter or early in the Spring is all that is usually needed to properly feed hydrangeas.
Keep hydrangea plants well watered during dry spells.

You do have to prune them after they've bloomed.

My grandmother grew roses and was named after the azalea, and I now have a rosebush and an azalea in my yard i her honor - I think growing something living in honor of a loved one is a beautiful way to honor their memory.

I've never grown hydrangeas, but there's a lot of onfo on them here:
http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/

Best of luck to you.

My grandmother swears that hydrangeas love the north side. I didn't believe her until I planted mine on the south side of our home. They almost died. I moved them last year to the north side and my husband grabbed me two days ago and said, "You want to see something beautiful?" They are bigger than ever and in full bloom and I have done nothing to them.

My husband is the gardener in our family but I get to admire his work and he has been successful with putting hydragenas in the ground everywhere. We have the green leafed and variegated ones under an oak tree that gets filtered sun light and we have others in full sun that do as well. He does not cut back as aggressively as is recommended by some garden experts so when they get too "leggy" I ask him to trim a bit more. Team work. And hydragenas remind me of my grandmother and my husband's mother that just loved them and of course us. I too was a SAHM and loved it. Our daughter is now beginning law school and another phase of our lives. good luck and enjoy your garden and memories. Jeanie

I would make sure you are using a fertilizer specifically for hydrangeas. They like acidic soil like azaleas and blueberries. They also like a little bit of shade but still need some sun.

T. I want to say sorry for you lost most of all. I can tell you that my mother and other friends of mine have these plants and I have noticed that most of them did not plant them in direct sunlight. Most of them have them planted around their house under the eve. You can do a google search and there is alot of information on these plants. How to plant even to how to change their colors. Good luck.

Hi T.,
Put them in the ground, water two to three
times in the summer days, and put in some
epsom salt around the roots in the spring
and water well. good luck. M. F.

1 / 3