How Do You Get Old Cat Pee Out of Your Carpet?

my cat was locked in the closet one day and peed a little on the carpet. We steam cleaned it and scrubbed and fabreezed it and i thought it all came out. If i leave the door shut for a few days i can still faintly smell it. ideas?

thanks everyone for your suggestions... i did dump about 1/2 container of baking soda w/water on it... and then i tried this stuff my friend had called XO that is all natural neurtralizer. Well. it smells like that now instead of urin LOL. but i'm sure gonna keep all these suggestions in case it returns!!

You can life the carpet and buy the pad sent remover. My easiest suggestion is to go to ACE Hardware and buy Fresh Wave in the gel jar. I love it for the cat odor. When the man came to fix my wall he could not believe I had two cats. The box was in the room next to the wall he fixed.

Hope it helps

My friend told me that the best thing to use is shout on stains like this and then to steam clean the carpet. We have a dog who has a problem going pee in the house, when we have storms and when we find the spots we use a product called Tuff Stuff (it is used for cleaning carpets in the car)but you can use it on carpets in the house, nd it works great.

I hope this helps, good luck.

It must be in the air. My cat of 5 years just did the same thing in the past couple weeks. I used a product from Walmart for about $5. It's called Kids & pets stain remover. You pour it on and leave it. It may take a couple times, but it neutralizes the urine.

happened to my sister obviously more than once but she had to rip out the carpet!!

did your cat and my cat get together cause one of mine peed on the carpet yesterday! I tried fabreeze too, and water soaking it up (works for stains, didn't for this), and cleanser. Today I dumped a jug of vinegar on it... I think it worked... not sure cause all I smell is vinegar and then only if I put my face down by it

Nature's Miracle which you can get at PetSmart you might try and also from Drs.Foster and Smith (on line) you can probably find some products...I purchased Odor Logic Clean Away which worked well for doggy accidents. Good Luck

You need to neutralize the cat urine and Fabreeze is not going to do that. There are products out there just for this problem. Look in the pet aisle at Walmart or Farm and Fleet and like another responder said Petco. Just follow the directions. You can also white vinegar.
What has happened is the urine has soaked all the way through the carpet and into the padding with a possibility that it has even reached your sub flooring. Depending on the age and quality used to build your house the urine might have soaked into the sub flooring. Since the spot is in a closet have you considered pulling up the carpet had cleaning underneath the carpeting and allowing it to total dry? Consider it, that way you know the pad and sub floor is clean and dry as well.

Good Luck,

Urine-Off avaliable from amazon.com is the only thing that completely removed the smell from my carpet.

I just finished with this same problem myself and let me say - you're going to have a hard time now that you steam cleaned it. That was the one thing I was told NOT to do...I went into a carpet store and they actually sold a product line ( I think it was called urine off) and it was like $20 for a spray bottle. I literally went through the entire bottle, plus Febreze & baking soda before I got rid of the scent completely. It took a lot more time to clean it than I ever would've imagined. But you have to get rid of the smell before the cat gets drawn to it and continues peeing there. Good luck with it

I hope this helps, good luck.

1 / 3