How Do You Explain the Death of a Pet to a Toddler?

Hi Mamas,
I've written before and gotten wonderful answers/advice/help from everyone - thank you all so much. My question today is: how do you explain the death of a pet to a toddler? It hasn't happened yet, but here's what happened today. My son (2 years 2 months old) and I were having a snack this afternoon when our cat came out from under the couch and stumbled across the room, falling down with every step, looking very disoriented and meowing. My son freaked out - he loves this cat so much and it was so distressing to see her like that. I immediately called the vet and brought her over. My sister was here and stayed with my son who was very upset. The vet said she has a type of severe vertigo that is usually caused by ear infection (he doesn't think that's it), a brain signal malfunction, a mini-stroke or a tumor. He said the only thing we can do is give her supportive care and wait to see if she improves or not. I brought her home and had my son help set up a litle bed for her in the bedroom, give her a bowl of water and some food and kept telling him that Shwizzle needed to rest. He kept patting her and saying "I love you, Meow". I'm praying this all passes and she'll be fine, but if we have to make the tough call, how do I explain it to him? I mean, he lost a puzzle piece months ago that he still asks for every night! I can't imagine him understanding this and am not looking forward to the constant "where are you, Meow?". Any adivce will be appreciated. I was really hoping we wouldn't have to deal with the topic of death for a while, but I need to be prepared so I can help him.

My children were 2, 4 and 6 when they actually watched our dog pass away (she was hit by a car after jumping out of our car window unexpectedly). Although they did not see the collision with the dog and car they did see me pick the dog up and hold her as she slipped away...We had no time to plan or prepare for this and I was in shock myself but since the dog appeared to have had a neck or spinal injury (she just looked like she was sleeping no blood or anything) I did allow each of the children to say good bye to her and pet her and even give her a kiss. I explained that she had gone to a happy place where she did not hurt or feel pain anymore. We cried together and they do still ask about her and they like to see pictures of her from time to time. A few months later we were able to adopt another dog so they are doing fine. I think letting them say thier own good byes and talking fondly about the animal helps a lot as well as pictures with them and the animal.

Sorry to hear about your cat. It's so hard to have to deal with illness/death in a pet from your own perspective, let alone explain it to a child. I would look into the book "Cat Heaven" by Cynthia Rylant. It may be a little beyond what you're looking for, but it might help. Good luck.

He is so young, is it possible you can take your sons photo with the kitty. Then when the time comes (if it comes) to take your kitty to the vet again. I would tell him because he is so young that your kitty is in the Hospital, even if you have put her to sleep already. And keep the photo of your son and his kitty on his table. If he keeps asking I would try to say how sick your kitty is, she is in heaven looking down watching him grow up into a wonderful little boy. Are you planning on a new kitten? This can help your little boy love another kitten. Hope this helps just a little.

You are right in saying he is too young to really comprehend. The one thing I am sure of is be very careful about using eupemism's such as we put Schwizzle to "sleep". It is best to simple say Schwizzle is getting very old and her body is wearing out, we hope she will get better, but she might die. This is an opportunity to explain that every living thing has a life cycle. Do this as simple as possible and don't elaborate unless he asks. If you must choose to euthanize, Simply tell your son Schwizzle died and we are going to miss her alot.

Believe me, your son will get over this long before you do. Give only as much information as he seeks and try to be matter of fact about it. Attaching too much emotion may frighten your little one. If you are a family of faith, it is important to discuss death in the relationship of God and eternal life.

God Bless,
J. L.

These two things helped me when I was in a similar situation -
http://www.babyzone.com/toddler_preschooler_development/t... and the book titled, "when Your Pet Dies".

The biggest thing that helped us was to remember that youngsters look to us, to see how we are feeling and reacting. Treating death as a natural but sad occurrence has helped us with our son.

Best wishes and I hope your cat gets better and you wont need this information for a long time!

Wow..nothing is tuffer than telling a little one their animal has gone to heaven. Been there ...but you have to be honest..and tell him the truth..what ever you do ..do not..I repeat ..do not lie to him about it..they dont forget that stuff..even at 2 and 3 years old.

Just be honest and tell him he went to kitty heaven. dieing is a fact of life that he needs to aware of..and telling him the truth maybe painful ..but it's the best way to deal with it, that way death wont be so much of a shock to him when he gets older. More than likely he wont really understand it all, but knowing his kitty is playing with all his friends in Heaven..is alot easier than just not knowing or understanding a lie when the Cat disappears.

If possible get him another kitten right away..it will never take the place of the one he loves so much but it will help him heal quicker.
I have to tell you..when our dog died..it had to be one of the hardest things to deal with in the whole world..like losing a family member..but honesty is always the best policy as they say.
Make sure if you have a house you bury him in the back yard..and get a head stone..if you dont have a back yard and you have a friend that does..try to put him there..it will give him some kind of peace knowing he is close by. ours is in our back yard..
I wish your kitty good health and hope he gets better..
And I also wish you good luck.

Explain to him how sick the cat is and death to him has others have said the kitty went to kitty heaven and isn't in pain anymore and is looking down on you all the time. Perhaps going to the shelter and picking out a new "meow" will help him to get his mind off it when that time comes or even getting one now so he won't be bothering your sick cat.

my son was about 4 1/2 when our cat got really sick and died at the vet while they were looking her over. he was very upset that he did not get to say bye to her and at 5 1/2 still says he misses her and wishes she hadn't died. best thing is be honest like everyone else has said. never say "put to sleep" as the child will think he will die if he goes to sleep and you will have many sleepless nights. we told our son that the cat was really sick and there was no medicine that the doctor could give her that would make her better (this had a good effect in that when he gets sick and needs to take medicine & I tell him it will make him better he takes it without complaint) and then we told him the cat died and it is ok to be sad, I explained death as we won't be able to pet her or see her anymore but we can always think about & talk about her because we love her. he was happy with that. we had another cat already and waited about a year to get a kitten so it would not feel like a replacement of the cat we lost. I hope your cat gets better and you do not have to go thru this at such a young age.

1 / 3