How Do I Stop My Kids from Coming up and Sleeping with My Wife and I?

Every night around 2am at least one (if not both - 5 and 3 year old) of my kids come up with their blankets and teddy bears looking for a spot in our bed. I've been trying to understand why they are coming up (bad dream), then i take them back down to their room, comfort them and put them back to bed. This strategy is about 50% successful.

My son did the same until I put my foot down and didn't let him get in the bed at all. I just march him back to his room and tuck him back in. He now only comes in, maybe, one time a week which is better than every night. Half the time it's just because he has to go to the bathroom and feels he needs to wake me up for that. Be consistant and don't let them get in the bed or you won't get them out.

All you can do is to keep putting them back to bed. Keep the comforting to a minimum and explain that they need to sleep in their own beds.

This is pretty normal.

If you can relax and enjoy it, the phase will pass and when you see them bouncing off to middle school w/out, you are going to wish you had let them cozy up and sleep with you.

Remember that human beings are cuddly and affectionate when they feel loved and loving. Lot's of affection helps w/development and stress reduction. It is also good for you.

They are bonding and reminding themselves that they are connected.

Slow down and enjoy it, resisting it or thinking there is a problem won't do any good.

If you are looking for a solid nights sleep, make sure you give them lot's of undivided attention in the evening when you are home, connecting makes them feel more secure and safe, remember that you are their source of love, food, security, they will learn to self comfort as they get older, it is something they will seek, for right now a little patience and lot's of affection is good for everyone's health.

Also, remember what you resist persist. So if you are pushing back you will get more of the same.

Relax and cuddle, once you relax about it, start to move them gently and encourage them to be self sufficient - don't think that they are a problem to be solved. This is pretty normal.

If you move them gently to their own beds, then do make sure that you are not expressing negative emotion toward their desire to be close. It's not good for any of you.

Best,
N.

M., I have twins and they have did this for the first 7 years of their lives (they are nine now). They would come up, we would take them back down. It doesn't work and you are left waiting for them to turn 13 because then they won't come out of their rooms at all.

Here's what we did and it worked 100%. We paid them. Everynight that they slept in their beds, they would come up the next morning and get a quarter out of the jar. Fifty cents is worth a nights sleep in my opinion. The first week, we had a few nights were only one would come up. By week three they never came up. Great investment. When enough time had passed, we ended with a big trip to the store to spend the quarters.

Some call bribery bad parenting, I call it creative parenting.

It'll be a lot less tiresome, just as comforting, and less inconvenient if you just make them a little spot on the floor to sleep. Once they realize that they aren't going to get into your bed anymore, they will come in less and less. Who wouldn't rather sleep with someone than alone. It makes no sense to them why they have to sleep alone when even you and Mommy get to sleep together.

You can put them into their own beds a zillion times and it might not work if you don't understand WHY. My oldest finally expressed it in words "you have fluffy (down) pillows and a fluffy (down) comforter, so your bed is better (softer and warmer) than mine". In essence, our bedding was why they always wanted to sleep in our bed. A trip to the store to buy them new bedding solved our problem. One of my daughters also needed a heater (programmable, oil-filled type) for her room because it didn't get as much central heat as her sister's.

I think kids NEVER do what you want or what you tell them. I think that you are doing right by taking them back to the bed. The only thing is NEVER allow them to get into your bed or you break everything that you have worked for by taking them back to their beds. I think that you just have to be patient with them and keep taking them back to their beds. Finally one day it will just click and they won't do that anymore, but it is probably gonna take a while and alot of patients.
Way to go!.. and good luck.
I think what you are going through is just the joys of parenthood. Don't let it get you down. Some won't go through this particular problem but they will go through problems that you won't have to encounter.

Just like these ladies have said, keep putting your children back in their beds. Watch Supernanny for her techniques. Mostly, the back- to-bed sequence is to put them back the first time and tell them goodnight. Each time after, there is no communication and you simply put them back in their beds. No cuddling. No singing. Nothing. Straightforward putting them back to bed. It's exhausting at first, but you are rewarded when they stay in their beds. Be persistent and get really good at power naps for a while! Best of luck to you!

1 / 3