How Do I Schedule My Days So 4 Year Old Isn't Bored?

Hello, I need help so my 4 year old and I aren't bored! Any examples of your daily schedules would really help! I also have a 20 month old son. I play with her, but after 30 minutes of barbies, and I'm barbied out. She goes to preschool 2 mornings a week, so she's at least entertained during that time. She's very well behaved, but I can tell she's BORED. We also play card games like matching and go fish, but I need more variety, and some kind of schedule so we know what we're doing everyday. we run errands in the morning, but then during brothers' nap, we're both pretty bored. I need help organizing activities and activity ideas. Please help!

If she likes crafts there are great free crafts online. dtlk-kids, or look up free crafts. Also I allow my 4 year old to play on the computer sometimes and that helps, if she has never used the computer you will be amazed at what she will be able to do. Nickjr.com under playtime is what I let my son use, it is very preschool oriented, also starfalls.com is excellent for abc and educational experience. I would suggest starting with starfalls- it has some great things for kids to play. My son loved starfalls until I introduced nickjr.

Also look up online free preschool activities...

I did some Montessouri activities with my daughter when she was that age. I found two books that were great resources. They are

" Montessori Play And Learn: A Parent's Guide to Purposeful Play from Two to Six" by Lesley Britton

and

"Teaching Montessori in the Home: Pre-School Years: The Pre-School Years" by Elizabeth G. Hainstock

It's really nice that you are a mother that spends so much hands-on time with your child. On the days when my daughter was at home and not in preschool we would get up, have breakfast and get ready for the day. Then she and her brother would have free playtime and plenty of times I would play with them, like Barbies, trains, puzzles, card games, music time....etc. Run errands as you need to in the morning or go to a local bookstore for storytime or go on an outing to the zoo. After lunchtime it is probably your son's naptime. A good thing to do during this time is to have your daughter in the room doing adult things with you. For example, my daughter always loved helping me in the kitchen....try baking cookies, or muffins or anything else like even getting dinner ready and setting the table and let her help. She'll love this and you can be teaching her math, measuring and kitchen safety, with her enjoying every minute of it. While you're paying bills, let her sit at the table with you and color. Do you ever do art projects? Try getting some paint sets...it's nice to have art time with little ones too, but sometimes it's good to let the older ones have more access to messy things that they can be responsible with. If you scrapbook, you can work on your projects while giving your daughter specially cut out shapes and papers, along with crayons and pens, and let her put together her own little projects. Try getting some books that are geared toward bigger kids and have special mommy-daughter storytime. This is also a good time for her to have some computer time....go to pbskids.org or disney.com for some fun, educational age-appropriate games while she's building computer skills. Or let her have some toys, like Polly Pockets, with pieces that are too little for her younger brother that you can keep high up away from him, but that she can play with and let her have quiet playtime by herself that's special big-girl time.

It's good that you want to be playing with her....but you don't need to entertain her ALL of the time. Let her come up with some things to do to entertain herself and you'd be surprised what new games are created! Especially on days when she's been at school, she's already done a lot of playing and had a lot of stimulation...these are probably days she'd be good having a quieter afternoon reading and snuggling with mommy. Plus, if you rotate what you do then you don't feel like you never get adult things done, and you don't get bored with activities because you don't feel like you do the same thing EVERY day, and your daughter will remember all of the fun and different things mommy always did with her when she was younger. Good luck!

My four year old son and I do alot of art projects together when my baby is napping.
We also do some cooking. He likes measuring and putting in the ingredients with me. He also has alot of preschool books that include math and reading. He loves loves me to read books to him to.
Have you tried the computer web sight starfall.com? It is great for getting kids familiar with letters and reading. My son has had alot of fun with it.
Try a few things and see what works best for you and your child.

When my daughter was 4 (she's only 5 now), she really loved that time during her little sister's nap, because she had me all to herself. We would either color, paint, play with playdough. She also started scrapbooking with me. Well, I didn't do my books at the same time, but all my extra pictures she would use and make her own book, completely by herself. She is so proud of them. Also, she LOVED baking. Not that you can do that everyday, but one day we might bake cookies and another day bread or muffins. When the weather is nice, we'd head outside our house and draw with chalk, blow bubbles, kick soccer ball, play tennis, etc.

Our kids are about the same age. One thing I know kept my older daughter occupied when she was that age is making paper chains. She loved it and would sit for long periods of time putting them together. I just cut construction paper into long strips of paper and let her go at it. I haven't tried to have my current 4 yr old do this, but I keep thinking she is ready for it. (My other dd made these chains when she was 3). Anyway, it was something she could do alone while I got other things done.
I have liked the ideas some of the other moms have made. I admit I am very much in the same situation as you are. Even more so next year when my dd starts kindergarten. In fact, you have opened my eyes to some challenges I may face. Right now my dd has preschool in the afternoons while my son naps (3 days a week). In the mornings I ty to get to the fitness center so they play in the child care for an hour, then we go to the kids area for a while. When we get home we have a snack and then my son is pretty ready for a nap. Then my dd will either play with a friend, watch a video, play on PBS.org or Nickjr.com or just play with toys. While your son is napping it may be a good time to take your dauther out in the yard and play with a ball or lett her scooter arount the driveway. We do most of the things you mentioned (I totally get the barbie burn out). My dd loves to put puzzles together. You can find good puzzles at the Dollar Tree.

My four year old twin boys are in school ( a real school that starts at preschool, then jr. kindergarten, kindergarten & up through 8th grade. ) They are no longer bored, are toally socialized, can count to 33, know their letters, sounds, & numbers & can do very simple math, work on the computer & gets lots of exercise. It's been the best thing I've done for them. They were acting up & now are challenged during the day & love it. My daughter will start this fall at 3yo. I cannot wait!

I agree with Noelle. I keep my little one busy doing what I am doing so I can get things done, and she feels like she is helping. Then when we have down time we take turns for Nan time and then Mommy time. Kids shouldn't be entertained all the time. Studies have shown that this down time is when they learn to be ok on their own, play by themselves. Children who are over scheduled tend to be high strung with short attention spans. Good luck!

1 / 3