How Do I Remove Permanent Ink from My Child's Skin?

My 4 year old daughter colored her entire thumb with dark red permanent ink. I've tried Goo Gone, nail polish remover, vinegar, baking soda, and lotion to get it off. Nothing has worked. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your responses. What a great network we have! No one thing took it off, just a combo I think of the things I had already done and rubbing alcohol that so many of you suggested. Thank you for those who were concerned about her safety with chemicals. Other than the Goo Gone, I didn't do chemicals. I didn't want those soaking into her skin, nor did I want the ink, too either. It is still there slightly, but time will get it all off. I guess that's why they call it PERMANENT! I was concerned also b/c she sucks her thumb, but she swithced thumbs last night! Thanks again everyone. Have a blessed day.

As wierd as this sounds try liquid insect repellent- it gets permenant ink off many things but I never have tried skin- Good Luck !

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/marker-stai...

Good housekeeping suggests rubbing alcohol or a milk-dipped cotton ball

Just don't use a magic eraser since they are abrasive and will also remove skin!!!

Noxema worked wonders on my little body artist. When she was about 15 months old - she colored her body with a perm black marker .... even her eyelids. I used makeup remover on her eyes to get that off. It took a couple of applications.

hairspray or rubbing alchol

I have always just used good old soap (Ivory) and water. My sons draw on themselves all the time with permenant marker and that's what I use. Hopefully that will help, eventually it will go away on, it just might not be as soon as you would hope.

LMAO mom i been there many times only with black marker, only thing to do is let it wear off which it will in a day or two, i always used just plain old soap and water took most of it off then it wore off in a day or so, kids love to think they are tattoo artists on their bodies. it won't hurt her just looklike her thumb is a lil red is all.

Contact the manufacturer of the marker. They should be able to help you out.

Maybe try specific eye makeup remover?? Good luck! LOL

Get hair spray in the pump bottle and pour some in a cup. Have your child soak their thumb in it. Worked for my child when he colored the tips of four fingers with a sharpy.

I have always had great luck with using rubbing alcohol....

Try babywipes, they clean everything! If that fails to work, try rubbing alcohol pads.

Hi R.,

Please be careful with trying to get that ink off. I know it's unsightly and also a chemical but the skin is the largest organ of the body and absorbs everything on it. Melaleuca oil is a natural solvent and will remove it. I own a business referring people to a manufacturing company that is a licensed pharmaceutical company that finds natural alternatives to the toxic chemicals out there. Our melaleuca oil is the best and purest on the market. (You can go to my business profile and see more.)It is good for the skin.

Any health food store will have tea tree oil. It will be a lower quality because health food stores don't have access to the highest grades, but this is absolutely better than mineral spirits or a caustic solvent.(Melaleuca oil is tea tree oil, but tea tree oil isn't necessarily melaleuca oil.)

Hope this helps...

I've heard sunscreen or bug repellant will get it off. Though I haven't had to try it myself yet.

Try Lysol spray or Hair spray. Otherwise, it'll have to wear off.
My 4 year old son did that with a permanent blue marker on his legs. He was trying to color them in he said. He was 3 then.
It's frustrating, but funny.

spray lysol on her finger and remove with babywipe
or
pour some alcohol over it and use babywipe
either one works!
love it

I've found plain old rubbing alcohol works well. Good luck!

My friends little boy decided to color his LIPS red with permanent marker and she could not get it off either but by the 2nd day it was gone..... How embarasiing right!

also dawn origional dish liquid works really good with that stuff and im not sure if anyone said to use that but it works use it without water rub it in reall good with a dry wash cloth and then wash it off with warm water then use lotion to keep the skin moisturised! I have done this It works!

I would try something that removes mascara. Don't bother to try Lysol wipes; they just smear it (on a wall anyway). Also, you might try a home office supply store - ask at the front desk- they should know if they carry something like that.

Have you tried just plain old cold cream or maybe even noxema? Just an idea. Please do be careful using things such as Goo B Gone and nail polish remover on skin though.

You may also want to try a babywipe...I got Sharpie ink off of my computer and a wall with a babywipe.

HTH

PLEASE DON'T USE THE MAGIC ERASER ON A CHILD...the chemicals in it will cause burns on the skin. I saw an email with some really nasty burns on the children after they got a hold of the magic eraser. Sorry I don't know how to get the ink off I just didn't want you to try this on your child.

I got ink all over my hands at work the other day and although I scrubbed my fingers to the bone none of the ink came off. When I went back into the office I took out my Purell and when I looked at my hands not a spot of ink. Hope this helps!!

try this website it has a lot of advise http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf799018.tip.html

Good luck!!

try using rubbing alcohol. It works miracles. I am a nurse and I use it on everything. My kids have even used a sharpie marker on the floor and all over their bodies.

Try hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol.

Try the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. That thing takes off anything but it doesnt irritate their skin either, I know-- my two year old has colored on his legs with perm marker and that was the only thing that I could find to take it off. Good luck though!