How Do I Know If I Should Send My 5 Year Old Boy to Pre- K or Kindergarten?

My son will be 5 in August and is scheduled to go to kindergarten in September. He's in preschool now doing fine except his fine motor skills need work (writing, cutting, etc.)which we are working on outside of school. I've found only 1 Pre-K program in the area which I have to apply to as a school of choice (not in our district). I'm thinking of having him complete the Gesell test. Any suggestions on how to know if you child is ready for Kindergarten or if he needs another year before Kindergarten? I've asked his teacher and she doesn't know yet and to give it to the end of the school year to decide.

I think this decision is so hard! I have a daughter who will be 5 at the beginning of Sept. and I've struggled with whether to send her to kindergarten or not. I finally decided that I would wait a year. Mostly because I thought another year and she'll be more confident and she'll do better in all areas. She could probably go but I don't see the rush. As parents we get so little time with them before they go to school and grow up and leave. Why not enjoy them one more year =)! I hope this helps!!!

I can give you my opinion. I have a 5 year old little girl who breezed right through pre-k and they suggested kindergerten for year insead of young 5's for the nxt yr..
All my friends were telling me to put her in young 5's but I didnt listen. Now that she in Kindergarten she is behind. Most of the other kids are already 6, she wont be 6 until November. Its weird she communicates like shes 10 and sometimes I cant even understand the other kids but all the little things like counting by 2's and backwards counting and all the little things I never taught her shes having trouble with.
So my advice to you is pre k then young 5s(If his bday is around November) then Kindergarten...Hope this helps.
I know its so hard because you want them to excel and not be "behind" at the same time.

I am in the same boat as you. My dtr's bday is in October. After talking with the teacher and doing some research, I have decided to move her on to kindergarten. If you look at the research, there is no evidence to support that holding them back a year will help. The stats show that by around 3rd grade they all end up (for the most part)at the same academic level. If he has already mastered preschool then that would be another whole year of repetition and not learning new skills. We have decided to enroll my dtr in all day kindergarten (Montessori) as we did with my son. I think you are best to wait until the end of the school year and see how he does. An August birthday really isn't that late and you might be surprised to see how far he comes between now and the end of the year. Good luck to you..

I am a mom of a boy with a November 2nd birthday who also scored at the "top" of his KG Round-UP class. He knew all of the "stuff" that he needed to know to begin school, and then some. My husband could not understand why I would want our child in a DK (developmental kindergarten) classroom. Well, I also am a Speech-Language Pathologist in the school system. And, I had a lot of observation information about the impact of later birthdays and maturity on school progress in the later grades. My husband's greatest concern was that he would be bored. However, I am of the opinion that boredom is a concept that we teach versus something that kids just know about. Anyway, the academic demands are so much different for our children than they were for us; and, if the maturity development does not keep up they just cannot handle the changes and the workload. My son is now in 6th grade and is at the top of his class. I cannot imagine that he would have the ability to handle the curriculum and social demands on him. So, my advice to you is to consider what type of demands he can handle currently and how do you think he will handle the demands as they increase from the first day of school. And , then think about how he will handle the demands in 3rd grade (MEAP's begin then) and in 6th grade and, 10th grade. I hope it helps.

All three of my sons were almost six (one was six) when starting kindergarten. It was the best thing I could have done! My middle son's birthday was end of June, and we did not start him in kindergarten until he was six. It gave him another year of maturity, and school came much easier for him. I was told it is much better to have school come a little easier for them rather than them having to really struggle through. I am so glad we made the decision to wait until the following year to send him. Never have regretted a day of our decision. Best of luck on yours!

I also have a little bot with a fall birthday. He is very bright and big for his age, but I am holding him back. I don't know that it makes much of a differance now, but when he gets to high school, if I sent him ahead he would be competing aginast older boys for sports, trying to date older girls, and graduating at 17. If once he is on school and he wants to try and skip a grade, he will be old enough to make that decision himself. At this age I feel it is my job to look out for what could be complications to an older, more hormotionally unbalanced son.

I am a elementary teacher with a Master's Degree who is currently not teaching but home with my kids. I have a son who could have gone to Kindergarten this year and we debated it but in the end put him in Young 5's. I am so glad we did! I volunteer with the Kindergarten and Young 5's classes and there is such a difference in the two. My son who is a little timid would have not had the confidence with the older kindergartners. Many children are nearly six now in kindergarten. When I was a teacher I never saw, in ten years or talking to other teachers, a boy who waited to attend school who had a problem with it. However I did have a few students whose parents had pushed them ahead and they really struggled socially and academically. They just weren't at the same developmental level. Not to sound sexist, but I have a daughter with a Sept. birthday who we will send to Kindergarten because as a girl she has developed faster and already reads a little and knows her letters and numbers, etc. If you worry that he will be bored academically, you can do lots of things at home with him on the weekends, or over the summer. It's tough with a late summer birthday. My son was a late fall birthday. The academics are also changing fast in schools and Kindergarten students are now expected to do many things that first grade students used to do. A friends suggested I think ahead to high school. Do I want him being the youngest kid exposed to older things sooner or the older one, more confident, and developmentally ahead a little? Some kids especially boys have a hard time when their friends can drive and they have to wait. Just a thought...

My first child was a girl and I sent her (Aug birthday) at 5. My other son (July birthday) I waited. Both get great grades, but it is hard when everyone else is in drivers training and you have to wait a year....for everything. WAIT!

I just went through this dilemma last year. My son was in preschool and the three teachers all said he was ready. I was not sure about his readiness. I have a daughter 2 years older. She was ready @ 5yrs old to go to kindergarten and did great. However, when I was getting ready to send my son to kindergarten I didn't feel he was ready. His fine motor skills were also lacking. Because his teachers and kindergarten round up said he was ok, we sent him to kindergarten. I should have gone with my instincts. He was so frustrated, he couldn't keep up and his self esteem went down the tubes in a matter of months. The teacher was great in recognizing the problems. We worked with him at home and it was just too much. Between 6 hours of school and then us working with him at least an hour on and off each night he hated school and was getting worse at school. He is very busy and just wasn't ready. We ended up repeating kindergarten. The school agreed. The hardest part was to see him struggle and try to get him interested. I have talked to alot of people about this and some of the feed back I got was, he is a boy, and they are busy, sometimes just not ready to learn exactly at 5. This was him, because he couldn't comprehend it all he just shut it off and was just like he didn't care. I even talked to a psychiatrist, she said this is exactly how it works. He didn't have anyohter way to cope. So his teacher started expecting less and praising him for his efforts he started to come around and began catching on. He is doing great this year, not one problem other than his self esteem. He still thinks he is bad at school and we have had to really work on that this year. He has the same teacher this year and she can't believe what a difference a few extra months made. I wish I could tell you everything. As a parent you want your kid to succeed and excell in everything, and we hit a wall. We went hrough the feelings of him being held back, and if we work with him more he will catch up but for us it came down to what he needed and after watching him so frustrated we had to, and it was the best thing ever He loves school and is proud of himself now. With the school systems expecting more from kids today why not give them every chance to succeed and if that means being a little older than fine I would rather do it now than have him be even more hurt when he has to be held back later, or constant struggle at home. He is a very well behaved kid and it was very difficult to get him through it at times. hoper this helps.

1 / 3