27 answers

How Do I Go About Transferring a Title?

My parents are giving me their home. How do I go about getting everything transferred over to my name. I have contacted the Tax Office and they could not give me any assistance. The home is paid off.

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

Featured Answers

I don't have a specific answer to you, but I would call a title company. I would think they would be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

This has to be done via a deed and in order to avoid certain penalties, etc it has to be handled a certain way.

You can contact the People's Lawyer - www.peopleslawyer.net. They have all answers pertaining to legal.

We used a very nice female attorney in Round Rock. She was great and not expensive. We transferred two rental properties. I can get her name if you live near and if you want it. Just reply to this email.

More Answers

Belinda is totally correct. So is Bonnie. You need to seek an estate attorney or a tax-estate specialist!
If you go about this the wrong way, you could be severely penalized in the tax area for years. It could affect taxes owed, retirement accounts and kids' college funding (if applicable.)

Don't listen to someone's opinion about how they did something years ago, either. Tax law changes every year---and does NOT change to your benefit.
Do not go buy a kit at an office supply store and do this yourself.
Spend some money on a professional to do this right.

1 mom found this helpful

I would contact a title company or a real estate agent.

I don't have a specific answer to you, but I would call a title company. I would think they would be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

Your parents need to transfer the title to you and file it with the County Tax Office. I am sure if you go on line and google it, you will find the proper forms. If all else fails I am sure a title company can assist you for a small fee.

You can call a Real Estate Attorney and ask them to do it, or you can call your local Title Company and see what they suggest. If you are in the San Antonio area, call DJ Johnson at First American Title at ###-###-#### and tell her C. sent you.

Here is the number to my realestate agent. He has been on all sides of the industry and could probably answer your question. Eric Miles ###-###-####. At one point I had heard something about paying $1 for the transfer but I don't remember the reasoning behind it. I think it was something about giving a gift greater than a certain amount and having to pay higher taxes on the gift or something to that effect.

Go to Office Max and get yourself a do it yourself leagal forms. Fill out the simple forms that are in the kit. Go to the County Court House and file it with the County Clerk, make sure that you keep a copy for your self to send off to the Tax Office so that you are paying the taxes on the home rather than your parents.
OR go to a local title company and they can handle the whole thing for around $200.
Good luck!

wow what a blessing!

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.