How Do I Get Fabric Softener Smell Out?

My husband's co-worker has been so helpful to us and given us a bunch of used clothing and other things from her twin boys, but she used some type of very musty fabric softener in the clothes that WILL NOT wash out. Because of our allergies and sensitive skin, I only use hypoallergenic and unscented detergent. Well, that is not cutting it for getting out the old smell. Aside from washing the clothes 5 or 10 times, does anyone know of any tricks for getting it out?

Well, I tried it all, but the smell is still there. Fortunately, it's slightly fainter due to the number of times the clothes ended up being run... although they do have a slight vinegar tinge to them as well now. :) I tell ya, she used some STRONG stuff!

E.,
you can try a couple things:
First, after washing you can run the clothes through a couple of rinse cycles until the suds all wash out. If that doesn't work, try pouring a cup of white vinegar in at the rinse cycle. It rinses out clean and won't leave a vinegar smell. It also acts as a natural fabric softener.

HTH!
E.

putting baking soda in your wash will take that smell out! Put as much as a cup in. I have done that with hand-me down's that smell that way. It works great!
Its also safe for sensitive skin. We also use all sensitive products and the baking soda doesn't effect our skin.

Try adding vinegar to the wash or better yet soak them in vinegar water. Vinegar is a very safe and effective natuaral cleanser AND odor neutralizer. Good luck.

My washer has a sanitary cycle ( basically extra hot water) and I used it along with bleach to get that smell out...but obviously only recommend on whites or light colored clothing...then I would just rewash one more time with your usual detergent.
I use Shaklee products..which are great...but they just don't seem to get those smells out all of the time....

1 / 3