How Do I Clean My Couches? They Smell like Dog! Ew!

How can I clean my couch and get the dog smell out? Can I use my steam cleaner on it? or would that be a really bad idea? I have a party here on Monday and I have got to get rid of the dog smell in my house! I only have one dog and we bath him all the time but I still can't get rid of the aweful smell!!!!!!!

Stanley Steemer can come and steam clean you couch for around $85.00 They do a really good job. They will get out any stains you have and it will smell really fresh.

Steam cleaning depends on the material. Pet Smart has this spot remover that we used a year ago when our puppy was not trained. It is awsome. I have light grey carpets and we could see every pee spot she did. I put it on full strength and used a rag and it was gone. I would test a small place where you can not see. I would try using that solution in the steam cleaner and see. GingerW

Make sure to check the tags on the couches. I know my couch is dry clean only and a steam cleaner would ruin it.

Does your couchs main cushion unzip? Take it off spray the foam cushion with an antibacterial pet animal spray in the pets section of your walmart. Wash the cushion cover in cold water with half laundry solution so it won't fade. Then semi dry it in the dryer,and air dry the rest of the way so it won't shrink. Otherwise mildly steam clean it so it won't saturate the foam inside. and spray after it's dry with an antibacterial pet odor spray.

You should be able to unzip the covers and wash them on cold...hang them to dry. Don't dry in dryer or they might shrink. Clean the rest of the couch with your steamer and then Febreeze. Good luck!

You can use your steam cleaner, just make sure whatever cleaner you use says safe for upholstry on it. If your covers come off your cushions (like mine do) you can wash those in the washer on gentle/hand wash cycle. My son got chocolate on my light beige couch once and that worked great.

My mom's husband has a business where he does this. He cleans carpets, does water damage recovery, as well as cleans couches. He has done a fabulous job for me. Very reasonable prices. His name is Marvin Littlepage and his number is ###-###-####. Please tell him that A. Stout referred you. :)

A.

I know it sounds weird, but if you will mix water and plain, white vinegar in the steam cleaner (with no other cleaners) you will be amazed. The vinegar won't bleach the fabric and also acts as a fabric softner so the fabric won't be stiff like it will be if you use some other cleaners.

I use it all the time in my steam cleaner to clean up pet or potty-training accidents!

By the way - when it dries, it won't smell like vinegar, so don't worry about your couch smelling like pickles! You could then spray it down with that Febreeze for pet smells - that will probably help on a daily basis too. Good luck!

1 / 3