How Do I Clean a Self Cleaning Stove?

This is going to sound really silly. I need to clean my "self cleaning" stove, but it has major build-up. I'm afraid to let it do it's cleaning thing with out getting the build-up out. What kind of cleaning products can I use to clean it? It's a Kenmore brand if that matters any? I'm used to using the other cleaning products on a regular stove. I hope I am making sense. I'm at a loss. Please help. Thank you.

Oh my goodness - Thank you for all of your responses. I will be just going for it on Sunday when I am home all day (cleaning day). So, wish me luck. Atleast I know that just letting it's do it's thing - will ease my mind. I am so glad I asked.

Let the oven do the work!!!!!!!!!! It will do an amazing job. Why work harder than you have too?? (Isn't that an easy-off slogan??) Just have a window open if you can (or some good ventilation. If you have a bird (or small child in my opinion) they shouldn't be around.

T. - As others have already said, go ahead and use the self cleaning feature, turn on your hood fan if you have one as the oven heats up over 500 degrees to burn off the mess. Don't let your little one near the oven as the outside obviously gets really hot with inside temps being so high.

I would strongly suggest you do not use oven cleaner. It is one of the most caustic and dangerous cleaners you can have in your home, along with drain-o products. (It contains Ethers, ethylene glycol, lye (sodium and potassium hydroxide), methylene chloride, petroleum distillates among other terrible ingredients.)

If my self cleaning oven still has spots that need work (rarely does, by the way!) I use plain old baking soda. (In fact, I use that for most scrubbing jobs in my house along with white vinegar for cleaning and disinfecting.) Make a paste with some water and let it set for an hour. Yes, it takes more elbow grease than Easy Off, but your lungs will thank you for it!!

Actually I don't think it sounds dumb. I actually had the same question a few years ago and read the manual on it. The manufacture suggest not using any other cleaning method/chemicals than the self cleaning feature. So I have never tried anything else. However, I have used the self cleaning with a lot of buildup and it smokes some, but did a great job. Just make sure your home and open windows in the area. Keep an eye on it the first hour, after that it's burned a lot of the stuff off.

LOL...I just did mine yesterday.
Run the self cleaning cycle and then after it is done, wipe it out. Then if there is still build up, Easy off makes a fume free, safe for self cleaning oven, oven cleaner. Spray that in the oven - don't get it on the heating element or the thermostat - and let it sit for 2 hours minimum. Then wipe it out. I used paper towels. Then do a final wipe with water and wash cloth or paper towels. It should work. If there is still build up after that, run another self cleaning cycle.

I can't remember who makes it, but there is a cleaner specifically made for "self-cleaning" ovens. Because you don NOT want to use the regular oven cleaners. I also have a Kenmore and remember it is 4 or might be 6 Hours to self clean. I forgot and had to order take out one night cuz' I started it to late in the day. ooops lol

Take Care,

If you don't have one already, you can usually get appliance manuals by calling or emailing the company. Although you already have answers here on how to clean your oven, it might be worthwhile to read exactly what the manufacturer recommends. Especially if it affects your warranty. The last time I requested an appliance manual, there was no charge, and these days you may even be able to read the manual online.

T.,

We have a self cleaning oven as well. It has different settings for the amount of cleaning needed. I would set yours on for the longest setting on a day when you plan to be out of the house most of the day. That should do it.

Just turn it on, and let it do its thing. If there is and build up left do it again, but you might be surprised--it might be gone--and all that will be left is ash.

1 / 3