How Did Your Labor Start?

TOTALLY out of curiosity:

How did your labor start? For example, did you begin to dilate and then X amount of time later go into labor? Did your water break before or after you began to dilate? How long were you in early labor before you went into active and then transitional labor? And so on and so forth...

(Alright, I'll be honest. I have a girlfriend who "has dropped" and begun to dilate. I am flippin' out of my mind excited! Her little lady will be here soon(ish?)! So, I want to hear your stories! We're all different and it's fabulous to hear other's experiences.)

>>> My labor started with my water breaking. I had dropped, but hadn't begun to dilate. Twas a long, back labor for us - but we made it ;)

Oh THANKS! Birth is an *amazing* feat. I loved hearing your stories. Thank you so much for sharing. Problem is, I'm more anxious and exited now! Woooo Baby!

1st Baby --Lost the mucus plug and went into very slow steady --back labor starting early that day Pain never went away between contractions so it was very hard to time them. I couldn't tell when they started and ended. Went to the hospital--they wanted to send me home but my water broke before I even left. Baby was born a little over 24 hrs. after I loss the plug.

2nd Baby--had contractions starting at 4:30 a.m. Finally woke up hubby and was like "I think?? I am in labor" and then next thing you know--I was screaming in pain because the contractions got really strong much more quickly than with number one. I went into the bathroom to find my husband shaving and was like "WHAT are you doing?? Get in the car!"

Now 36 plus weeks pregnant with number 3 and feeling like I am going to go into labor every single night because my dang back is so sore and I am having TONS of cramping. Probably just sore from chasing two crazy little kids all day. :)

The waiting is excrutiating, isn't it?? ;)

Never dilated. With my first, I started to leak some fluid just after his due date and because it was a "break" they gave me a window to go into labor before inducing. I did not go into labor so was induced. With my second, I also did not dilate early and my water completely broke just over three weeks early. I still didn't go into labor with him and was induced. With my third, at my 36 week appointment I was dilated less than centimeter, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up for an earlier delivery again. Good luck waiting--it is always nice for moms to have friends who are excited for them!

I hadn't dropped, dilated or anything, and I was awoken with my water breaking. I was induced with my second.

With my first, I dilated to 3cm about 4 weeks before my due date. I had constant Braxton Hicks contractions from 30 weeks on and lost my mucus plug every few days after dilating to 3. Finally, at 40 weeks and 6 days, I got a contraction that I KNEW was real. 6 hours later, it got hard and I had to actively manage the pain. My mom was my labor coach, so at this time, I went to her house. 11 hours after that, (17 hours after 1st contraction) It was so bad I went in to the hospital. I was 6cm at that point. 5 hours later (22 hours total), she was born.

With my second, I had constant Braxton Hicks contractions from 20 weeks on. 3 weeks before my due date, my dr stripped my membranes, I had sex, and walked hard for an hour. I dilated 3 cm that night. From that point on, I lost my mucus plug every couple days, but no other progress no matter what I did. ON my due date, my water broke very early in the morning. Within minutes, very hard contractions started, and I went to the hospital. I was at 6cm when I got there. 3 hours later, a resident checked me and said I was at 8cm. As soon as he took off his gloves, baby slid right out.

Ok I was clueless.
2:30am water broke.
Didn't know it was my water breaking.
Soon after I felt constipated.
Didn't know it was labor because it didn't really hurt.
Finially at 3:30am I saw blood, called the SO, drove myself to the hosp, but still wasn't in pain.
Started checking in at 4:40am - delievered at 5:24.
Dr. barely made it, SO didn't make it, friend made it about 30 seconds after she was out.
All I know it I was completely dilated when the nurse checked me, begged me not to push, asked who my dr was, 3 pushes and she was out.
You should print these out for your friend to read while in the hospital. She might get a kick out of hearing labor stories.
Gongrats to her! =)

I don't know if I was dilated or not because my doctor doesn't check unless there is a problem or you are over your due date. Everyone told me I had "dropped" but I couldn't really tell. I never lost my mucous plug. I had just gotten into bed and started to feel contractions. They went on for about 20 minutes so I decided to jump in the shower just in case (didn't want to go to the hospital w/o shaving!!). In the shower my water broke. About 1.5 hours later my contractions were 5 mins apart and we went to the hospital. At that time I was 3 cms dilated.

No water breaking. No loosing my mucus plug. No dialating. No dropping.

On Oct.12th, 2003 at @ 1:45am I awoke feeling icky...nothing to painful, just a lil' strange and unusual. I couldn't get back to sleep. I woke up my hubby and told him I didn't feel good, this was nothing new to him because I had 'morning sickness' from start to finish! He told me to try to get some sleep:) At about 2:30am I felt a tightness in my stomach and slight pain. I waited and felt it again about 15 mins later. I called my sister. She was
excited and told me it was time. I was not sure, she said "take a shower,
relax, pack your to go bag and if you are still feeling this way it's time and
come get me on your way" :) I packed my bag, kicked hubby and told him
let's go. We left my house at about 5:15am. We stopped and picked up my sisters. We stopped at the gas station so hubby could get a 'snack'. *Hubby is ruled by his stomach and I tease him still to this day that he
made me wait while in labor so he could feed himself!* We got to the
hospital at 6:15am and got checked in. They took us up to the room and
got us situated. They checked me and I was at 4. The nurse told me to
relax we would be there for awhile. They were in no hurry. I told them I
have a family history of fast labors, they weren't concerned. I told them I
tested + for group B? and needed antibiotics. They didn't hurry. I threw up.
I asked for the epidural. They gave it to me and checked me again. I was
at 5. They hooked me up to my first dose of antibiotics. My Dr. arrived and
checked me, I was at 8. My nurse came in and I told her I thought it was
time. She laughed at me and said "wishful thinking". I gave my sister a
look, she told the nurse to call my Dr. in now please. She huffed out of the
room. She came back about 15 mins (the longest 15 mins of my life) later
w/my Dr. and chuckling, but we could tell she was annoyed, told my Dr.
that I thought it was time. Dr. checked me, said "oh goodness" and
everyone scrambled! I remember pushing and watching the fetal heart
monitor a lot, I remember my nurse repeatedly telling me she was "sorry
sweetie" and "you don't mess around, do ya"...

At 12:34pm on Oct.12th,2003 my first born son arrived! He was perfect! Everyone said he was "amazing and strong", he could hold his head up
from the moment he arrived! They placed him on my chest and I said "Hi
Korbin, I'm your Mommy" and he lifted his head and looked right back at
me! It was awesome and I will never forget it!

~ I had two more babies, another boy and a girl and due to my fast deliver with my first, my Dr. (same nice man) opted to induce me with both my next babies. Funny part is I got to the hospital for check-in with the next two at 6am and had both other kids right around noon too, just like the first time!

~That nurse was so sweet to me for the rest of the time and when shift change came she brought in her replacement and introduced us, then proceeded to relay the story of how she didn't believe me and finished by telling her that "She means business" :) It was so funny, even my sister laughed, which was a big deal because she was so mad at her for not taking me seriously!

Mine was like yours, water broke, and then back labor. 17 hours till transition, then things got a little easier!

This was back in the stone ages, though (40 years ago), and I was strapped down to the delivery table and had my baby hauled out of me with forceps, a huge episiotomy, and considerable physical damage that seriously affects my life today. I doubt that any of that was necessary, and I am so grateful that women today generally receive more humane and gentle treatment.

I was 1cm when checked at a prenatal appt, then 2 days later, I woke up in the middle of the night with BAD cramping. I went to the hospital when I noticed contractions that were 5 mins apart. Upon arrival, doc checked me and said I was 8cm. 10 mins later, I was 10cm and started pushing. 10 minutes later, my baby was born. Fast, easy labor.

dropped, contractions, water breaking about 12 hrs later, full dilation a day later, then 2 hrs of pushing... but I had a 10.2 pounder naturally!!

1 / 3