How Common

Without going into details...I have a friend who is using poor judgement but that is a different story for a different day. Anyway she confided in my she may be pregnant. She said she starts her period on time like clockwork. This month she was supposed to start on the 20th and hasn't. Sore boobs which she's says she's never had with PMS before and no period and all at home tests have been negative.

How common is it to find out that you are pregnant from your doctor via a blood test? Aren't the home tests pretty reliable without having to have blood work? If you are testing a week after you're late with a home test and it's negative do you think a blood test would give a different result?

A friend of mine was two weeks late, took many home pregnancy tests (all negative) but she had every pregnancy symptom. She went to the doctor and they confirmed with a blood test.

The home tests are pretty reliable. If it's too early, the blood test is best.

Try googling the home tests and look at the FAQ's. I'll bet it addresses how soon the test should be done.

My home test was more reliable than the doctor's test for my first. Home test showed up at 2 weeks pregnant, the doctor's test almost came back negative.

No sure how old your friend is, but our bodies change... our cycles change... If it's a week past and she's getting negatives, my guess is that she's not pregnant - just having a funky cycle.

Poor judgement can often lead to feeling stressed out. Being stressed out can make even "clockwork" periods skip a week, or a whole month until the next one is "due".
On the other hand, it's been my experience that home tests are very accurate, but if it's really wearing on her mind, then going to the doctor for a better test is how you set your mind at ease. Stressing out over the "what if" isn't going to help the stress of poor judgement go away.

A blood test is a lot more sensitive than a urine test, so it can detect pregnancy sooner than a urine test. Sometimes in very early pregnancy it will show up as a negative on a urine test, but the blood test will be positive, just still to early to show up in the urine at this point. Most of the time if someone is a week late then if should show up in a urine test, but not always. I work in a lab and we see this all the time.

With my second I was dizzy as all get out and went to the ER. They did a test there and it was negative (urine). I went to my regular doctor for a follow up a few days later and they did another test, negative (urine).

I made fajitas about a week later and as soon as they were done I wanted to get sick. I went to the store, got a test, and have my 6 year old :).

A blood test will show much sooner than a urine test and I'm convinced that had any of those doctors done a blood test they would have known I was pregnant.

With my last pregnancy I was two weeks late and it never showed up on a urine test that I was pregnant. It only showed up in blood tests. It's not that uncommon.

They're pretty accurate, but if you don't use first morning pee or you use too much pee, they can have user error. If she wants to confirm, she can go with a blood test, which can also tell her about her hormone levels, whereas a HPT is just yes/no.

I agree with wickerparkergirl that she may want to see her doctor for various reasons, because if she's not pregnant, but has been doing questionable things, she may have other issues.

1 / 3