How Can I Tell If I Miscarried?

I am in my sixth week. I just found out I was pregnant 3 days ago. I took 2 home tests and both were positive. The day i took the tests i also started spotting. I've had a few cramps here and there for the past two weeks, but nothing major. My breasts had been really, really sore for the last few weeks. Now all of a sudden tonight they aren't sore anymore. I called an ob/gyn to make an appointment and they won't even see me until July 27th. That is a month away. I've never been pregnant before, so I don't know what to do. I don't want to tell people yet if I'm not even sure if I'm pregnant. If I can get into the ob/gyn will they be able to tell at this point if I am pregnant or if I miscarried?

Thank you for all the responses and advice. I went to see my OB/GYN last week and they ran blood tests on Wednesday and Friday to see if my hormone levels were increasing. The didn't increase enough so they did an ultrasound and found that either I had miscarried but my body hadn't gottten rid of it or that becuase of the size of my uterus that I had a molar pregnancy. I have a D & C for Friday. Please pray it goes as well as can be expected and that I would heal quickly (physically and emotionally).

M.,

I am truly very sorry. I had a D & C because @ 10 weeks because the baby had stopped growing. You will heal physically very quickly as for emotionally I can tell you it is one of the hardest things to deal with. Take one day at a time and don't take offense when people say everything happens for a reason, they are only trying to help. If you need someone to talk to please fell free to email me and i will give you my number so that we can talk. ____@____.com

M., dont worry spotting in the first trimester is not unusual. It happened to me also, I started spotting on the 6th week, But i went to the hospital, At that momment they found my baby and his hearth beat. YOu should go to the hospital or look for another doctor that would give you an appoinment soon. Every woman needs medical care as soon they know they are pregnant.

M.,

I'm saure you're a bit nervous right now so I agree w/the other comments....call the dr. again, tell them your symptoms & concerns & demand to be seen for your own piece of mind. They will be able to tell if you're pregnant or not, via an ultrasound. The nurse may tell you the spotting is common for some women but just tell her/him that it's your 1st pregnancy & you're nervous & want to be seen for your own piece of mind. Waiting until the end of July (probably your 1st pre-natal appt.) is too long. I also suggest you go to Babycenter.com & look up symptoms of a miscarriage. But, keep in mind, not everyone exhibits the same symptoms. I had a miscarriage back in Janauary. It started off w/slight spotting that I called the advice nurse about & 2 days later was very heavy. My husband & I ended up in the ER for a few hours to be certain. I never had ANY cramping or back pain, both of which are symptoms of a miscarriage. On the flip side & more positive, some women do spot a bit in the 1st trimester. I have a girlfrend & mom of 3 who spotted a bit thru all 3 of her pregnancies. Good luck!

I am sorry, I'm sure you must be so confused. Since the home test was positive, a doctor can definitly tell for sure if you are pregnant or not. I would go to an urgent care or planned parenthood for definitive results. I know when I have experienced this the doctor asked if the bleeding was bright red. Also, spotting doesn't mean that you are defintly having problems, sometimes people have periods while pregnant, for a few months. I hope this helps. Also, I would wait a couple months to tell people other than your closest friends and your partner, when you are pregnant.

First off, you need to get to the doctor..... that is TOTALLY LAME that they can't see you any sooner. I would complain.....
But, I had my period for the first 5 months I was pregnant and I didn't even know I was pregnant...... I smoked and drank still, for I didn't know I was carrying until the 5th month when I felt a huge not in my belly when I leaned against the counter on day. Needless to say, I quit then. Today my daughter will be 17 and is a straight A student.........
Everyone is different, so get to the doc's office.
Good luck and best wishes!!!!!!

Hi. I had a sixth-week miscarriage a couple years ago and all i can say is, you'll know. spotting and crampsa re very very common in healthy pregnancies. generally, there is a lot of bleeding with a miscarriage (liek a heavy period) with a lot of cramps and pain and other symptoims (depression, dizziness, fatigue) but in some cases the embryo could die and it would be a couple of weeks before you had these visible signs. the vanishing sore boobs are totally normal and happen to every pregnant woman.

i'd actually take another home test to be honest with you., if it's still positive, you'll feel reassured. if it's not, you'll know something has gone wrong. and if you suspect a miscarriage you should tell your doc this and see if they can make an earlier appt for you... in week six you can very often see a heartbeat and confirm things are going all right.

post back and let us know what heppens ok? miscarriages are very common unfortunately but so are healthy pregs with all the things you described. best of luck.

you need to see a doctor right away! July 27th is too long away. Is that your regular OB/GYN? You need to see what is going on with your body. Do you have a doctor that you see, or do you not have one? It's imperative you see a doctor. Did you tell that OB/GYN what is going on? I can't believe they wouldn't schedule you for an appointment until July 27th.
If not, maybe try going to an E/R? Take care!

it is never a good idea to publicize a pregnancy beyond your closest family until after the first trimester is over. Since you are in your mid-30's the chance of early miscarriage is not low. I never told anyone until I was showing so much that I couldn't hide it anymore. I gave birth at 35 and 37. I can't believe you can't get an appointment until a month from now!! That is pretty criminal if you ask me - did you tell them that you thought you were pregnant?? Good luck with this and future pregnancies.

1 / 3