How Can I Remove Cigarette Smell from a Wood Dresser?

My mom recently gave me a beautiful wood dresser and matching nightstand, which look nice in my bedroom. There is a BIG PROBLEM though...they smell like cigarett smoke! They do not overwhelm you with the smell, but to a non-smoker it is very noticable. I have tried cleaning every surface, inside and out with lemon Endust...that worked for a couple of hours. I have poured baking soda into the drawers and left it for 24 hours...that did not work either. HELP! Does anybody have a method that will get rid of the smell?!?

Thank you so much for all of the AWESOME advice! I have wiped down all finished surfaces with vinegar and have charcoal in all the drawers, and the smell is starting to fade! :-) I think one more wipe down with vinegar and another day with charcoal might just do it!

Thanks again for all the responses!

I'm editing my response! I got the recipe wrong.
Add equal parts Lemon juice and olive oil. Then add an essential oil that you like. I use eucalyptus because it smells so clean. Lavender is nice too. Just rub it on with an cloth.

The woman who writes the Queen of Clean books says put it out in the sun if you can. Then use activated charcoal in the drawers to absorb the odor and treat with lemon oil.

It does take some time for the smell to work it's way out. Good luck!

You might try wadding up newspaper and stuffing it in the drawers. A friend told me about that for other smells. It got a weird smell out of a used fridge I bought. She even uses it in stinky shoes. Good luck!

M.. It is difficult to rid smells like that. But I have had a friend use the Air Source 3000 air purifier to get smoke/fire smell out of their clothes successfully. Go to www.yourhealthyalternatives. Can borrow one, or even purchase one, since its function is extremely beneficial for a family home, anyways.

Wipe down the sealed surfaces with white vinegar. Put dishes of white vinegar in the drawers. Ditto on the fresh air...but be careful with too much direct light since it can fade or dry the wood. Also try some horticultural or aquarium charcoal in the drawers. I suspect most of the odor is coming from unsealed surfaces. Don't use anymore oil based products until the odor is gone. When its gone, Old English makes an almond oil cleaner that is really nice.

Oh, I feel for you! I haven't had to remove the smell from wood, but I have from clothing and shoes and bags. What works for me is air and sun and...TIME! It's hard, but it took years of consistent smoking to get that smell in there like that. There's no quick-fix to get it out.

If you've got a sunroom or porch, maybe you can leave it there for a while. One sunny day, set it out in the yard all day--that might actually be all you need, one full day! This likely will NOT take the problem away altogether, but it should make it bearable to live with it.

Wood is pourous and the cigarette odor is in the pores of the wood. You might try wiping it down, inside and outside, with Murphy's oil soap household cleaner. It is good for wood furniture. Other than that, you may have to refinish it such that you seal the odor in.

Not quite the same but we had a problem with dog odor in the garage of a rent house where the tenant kept his dog chained in the garage. We even tried steam cleaning but concrete is porous, and once an odor is in the pores of a material, sometimes it is difficult to get it out. We had to coat the cement with a sealant to mask the smell.

The best way, of course, is to have the furniture re-finished....short of doing that, the only other cure I know is Time. I had a similar problem with an Armoire. I ended up taking it apart, and airing it out in my garage for several months, then cleaning it with a "light" chlorine and water solution. Good luck.

1 / 3