How Can I Get My 10 Mo. Son to Eat Table Food-he Gags If Its Not Jar Food!

Help with transitioning from baby food in jars to table food

Just keep giving him jar food. My son came off jar food about three months ago (he's 19 months now). His doctor said not to worry about it and that some kids don't take to table food until they're 18 months. She actually told us she would rather have him on baby food then rushing him to an unhealthy diet. I just wouldn't rush the issue if you can afford to. That baby food is expensive!

I hope I might offer some help. When my youngest son was about your son's age, he couldn't eat anything except baby food without gagging too. He couldnt even really eat 3rd stage of baby food till he was 12 mo. Shortly after that is when he tried to eat speggetti, right off my plate! it even was spicey. lol. But it wasnt until he was at least 13 months or latter. i asked the doctor about it and he said that some babies just dont learn how to manage food in their mouths till they get older, he said not to worry, as long as he was eating the baby foods and drinkin milk and such stuff that is good for him, its not going to hurt him. Now my son is 4 years old and eats just about anything. If it is really bothering you ask your peditrician. I think that your son will be ok.

HI M.,

This is NOT uncommon! I did this when I was a child and my mother thought I had a swallowing disorder. She started feeding me the "adult" Vienna sausages and finger foods that look like baby food. Basically, she would set it in front of me like it was baby food and let me eat myself, instead of making a big deal out of eating "grown up" food. I remember it myself to this thinking, "But, I LIKE eating my jar food..it tastes better!" I think babies get conditioned to eating the blander tastes/salt only and all the adult spices play a role in the hard transition. So, maybe keep in mind to stay with the bland tastes. Like: Canned chicken, cheese crackers, Vienna sausages, boiled carrots w/ just a little salt/butter. I read in a magazine that green peas were great to start them on- just microwave and make them mushy and let them explore!

Hope this helps!

I just bought a product from Target made by Munchkins, like a mesh pacifier, 2 in a set, u put food in the small sac, to prevent choking. I have a teething baby of 5 months and I put frozen banana in it for a heathy teether.

You can start with pureeing table for or just mashing it very well or mixing it with is jar food. I started by making my daughter her own chicken soup then blending it making it the texture of jar food. Find something he really loves like sweet potatoes and he will want the eat it anyway it comes.

I would highly recommend for you to get a baby food grinder, also adding a small amount of salt to the baby food will help to make this transition into table solids. Most of the problems that children have converting to table food is texture, slowly changing the texture will help a lot. Try the food grinder and see if that doesn't help some.

E.

I have never hurd of that one before. I would try not letting him see you and mix table food in a blender os it is smaller for him to choo, then put it in the jar like baby food.

get french fries and take the filling out of them start him with that its not like mash potatos cause its not smooth its a little chucky and may help him get used to the texure of solid foods.

You can feed him soft foods like mashed sweet potato or mashed avocado and add water to it to make it more like the consistency of jarred baby food. But... I say don't worry about it too much. If he likes baby food in the jar... let him eat it. He won't be eating it forever... keep trying the table foods from time to time, but don't stress out over it. He will eat them eventually. I used to cook brocolli and mash it up and add water and my daughter ate it like crazy. You have to experiment a little to find what he might like. Yogurt is also good and mashed bananas. A good book to take a look at is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron.

1 / 3