How Can I Get Fishy Smell Out of My New Purse?

I recieved this awesome purse for Christmas and I can't get this fishy odor out of it. I've tried washing it, letting it air out, spraying it with febreeze, and have used fabric softners. I don't understand why it stinks so badly. The fishy odor is horrible..my kids even complain when I open it. I could really use any advice on how to get the smell out. Thank you.

Try putting charcoal in bag and close it up for a few days. it will absorb the odor.

I've never heard of a fishy smell in a new purse either, but if it's not leather, you can also try spraying it with a 50/50 mixture of water and peroxide. That works on tough odors really well, like pet urine. Good luck!

I know that when I have a smell in a gym bag or suitcase I use Bounce dryer sheets. Sometimes it takes changing it everyday for a few days to get the smell totally gone, but this always works. Hope it helps!

hi, A.! have you tried liquid fabric softner watered down?
My husband's previous job was a restoration company, when we would get in our car after a rainy day he would do this to prevent the mildew smell to last long! we simply put it into a spray bottle we bought - and it worked Great!!
i hope this information i left you realy helps, i had no idea it would until i tried it myself! Good Luck!!

You might try covering it in baking soda and then let it air out overnight before washing it. I've never tried it on "fishy" smells, but it works well on "stinky gym sock" smells.

Hi Angle,

I've never had to get rid of a fish smell from a purse but I know what works on your hands. Wash thoroughly with lemon juice (full strength). Pat dry and let it stand...open...until it is almost dry then whipe it out with a disinfectant cloth. Leave it open to dry and the smell should be gone. If there is still a slight smell try this, when the purse is completly dry pour some baking soda in it , close it up and let it sit for 24-48 hours. Dump powder out...you might have to use a damp cloth to wipe out any residue. Leave it open to dry. Your smell should be gone after that.

W. Q.

How did you get a fishy smell in you purse?! Try charcoal, put some in it maybe wrap it in something so it want stain purse, but do not seal wrapping. Then close up purse and leave for a week and check, if still smells put fresh in an try again. Best to you. B.

Did anything work..I have a new purse ..same problem

1 / 3