How Can a 10-Year Old Can Earn Money Fast?

This year my daughter wants to go to the American Girl store for the unveiling of the American Girl of the Year. She's excited because this year's American Girl is a gymnast and she is a gymnast. She's REALLY into American Girl Dolls!

This year we already bought her an American Girl doll for Christmas along with many other wonderful gifts. We are not giving her any more money. She asked her grandpa for money or an American Girl Gift Card for Christmas for the doll, and usually he likes giving money (because he hates shopping for young girl stuff) and he loves giving her what she asks for. She explained the whole thing about wanting the Girl of the Year, but that she wouldn't be available until January 1st. Grandpa can spend his money however he wants though, and he bought her presents instead.

My daughter is not only very disappointed (and we are disappointed but we understand that grandpa can give whatever gift he wants because it's his money) but she was hoping to get the doll at the celebration.

We've told her that she can EARN the money to get the doll. Any ideas for what a 10-year old can do to earn money? It won't be earned from doing chores for us though, because we are tapped out as far as extra money goes.

Thanks! We hope to make this into a good learning experience. You don't always get what you want, and if you want something bad enough, you'll earn it!

Can she be available as a "mother's helper" to any friends or people in the neighborhood, and then get paid for it? Or what about shoveling snow if there's enough out there that driveways and sidewalks need it? Or could she consider trying to sell some of her older toys and other things she is willing to give up on E-Bay?

Return the doll you bought and some of the Christmas toys she received and let her use the money to purchase the American Girl of the Year.

Is there a family member that lives close that she can "clean" or baby sit while they clean?

Have her ask any people you know if there is anything she can do to help making money. Have her explain what she is earning the money for.
It may be difficult if everyone is as financially tapped as you are, but I know at that age....I made a lot of money ironing. I guess I was a born ironer because I did a good job and I had people call me to help with their laundry or to press things before they went out. I ironed better than the women. I had a true talent. I passed that legacy down. My son can iron better than most women.
Anyway, try babysitting, housecleaning, go through clothing etc to see if they can be sold at consignment shops. If you know any neighbors who can use some work in the yard or reorganizing cupboards, have her offer herself.
It's worth a try.
My son actually made extra money helping some of his teachers get ready for going back to school after the winter break. He helped lug their paperwork to the classes, move desks, etc. They paid him personally. My son will stack wood, babysit, walk to the grocery store... there are plenty of things she can offer to do.

I applaud you for helping her understand that she can earn what she wants. Some women and I were just talking about that at work today. Our kids have always appreciated things more if they actually earned it.

I hope you get some great suggestions. If your daughter can't get what she wants this time, she will have an early head start on things for next time.
She can do it!!!!!

I second the shoveling snow and mother's helpers ideas. If she shovels snow, perhaps she could work with a friend, so there are two of them or more together? (less money, but fun and safer) The mothers helper job would be good if you think she's got the temperament for little kids and their demands. Either way, good for you that you are having her earn her money! This is a great opportunity for her to feel very proud of having worked for something she really wanted. That doll will be very special to her.

Does she have something she can sell to a local consignment store or on Ebay, such as clothes or even American Girl stuff or other toys and collectibles? Clothes in mint condition might be another option for consignment.

If you have a Half Price Books (consignment) chain in your area, she could sell books, music, or movies for some cash.

Otherwise, no other ideas, since she can't get a job anywhere...unless she has a family member who runs a business like a restaurant or small business who would be willing to let her work a few hours doing simple chores or paperwork to earn some money.

She can ask friends, relatives, and neighbors if they have any chores that she could do for some extra cash.

Totally agree with the mother's helper idea.

1 / 3