Household Organization

I have a very small home/trailer, I am looking for suggestions on how to maximize my space (with minimal costs) I have been getting shelving, & looking at consignment etc for taller chest of drawers for the rooms...do you have any other suggestions for me on how to better organize each room? any tips are appreciated! i cannot take the clutter anymore!

Ditto on the decluttering. My husbs is a total hoarder, and I'm constantly like, do you NEED that? How often do you use it? Once every 10 years? See ya!!!

First, de-clutter as much as possible. Recycle, donate, garage sale and throw away things you do not need.

Second, I like shelving with pretty little baskets or boxes. I also like those wire storage shelving for the back doors of closets and pantry doors.

I have a dresser that I got too that I keep odds and ends in. It doubles as like a kitchen island and each drawer is pretty organized, that way it doesn't end up just storing more junk.

I have a motto that I use to de-clutter my home. If I haven't used it in a year (or more) and it's clearly not a seasonal item (Christmas, Thanksgiving), then it goes bye-bye. I, too, am one who is highly motivated to organize and de-clutter my home. Shelving, anywhere you can put them is a great way to start organizing. It sounds to me like you are on the right track.

First, be totally brutal when you go through your things...I had to start doing this (I have sooo much "stuff.") If you haven't seen it or used it in awhile, and are holding on to it "just in case"...get rid of it, unless you can't replace it and are really going to need it.

Second, let everything that comes into your house only have ONE resting spot. For example, open your mail immediately, throw/recycle the junk, and file what you need to, put the mags in the rack, etc...when you are shopping, ask yourself, "Do I have something else that can do what this does? And do I have a very good place to put this?"

I had to start doing all that, too...and it's worked great, but it can be a long process of reformation.

For organization/storage, I like double duty things, like a coffee table with large baskets underneath, or a footstool that opens up.

For children's stuff, do not buy the open toy bins that sit on the metal bars (you know the kind...vertical metal bars for shelves, and brightly colored plastic bins in rows)...they don't hold much, a lot of toys don't fit into them, all the toys collect dust, and they are hard to keep clean...plus, an eyesore. I made that mistake, but now I've found a much better thing...they sell (probably at a lot of places, I got mine at Target) these shelving units that are like nine cubes, nice wood look...you can use them as shelves, or buy the fabric bin drawers to go in. I bought the drawers, and all the toys/crafts/etc are neatly tucked away. When my daughter wants to play with a set of toys, she just takes the bin out, plays with it, and clean up is so easy...back into the bin, back on the shelf! And they are pretty.

I also live in a small place, so I utilize as much space as I can. Metal shelving units in the closet, roll t-shirts and socks and squish in, boxes under the beds, and throw away everything you can! :)

Hello Mama

I love to use shoe boxes for inexpensive storage. Either with or without the lids, they help me keep things where they belong, and shoe boxes stack well.

The key is to develop a plan and stick with it. Start small, like all coats will be hung-up here, and you'll be amazed how fast it takes off.

R. Magby

Take and honest inventory/assessment of all you have. Do you use all of it?

When was the last time you used your stuff? Don't be afraid to get rid of things and don't be particularly sentimental about stuff. Stuff that is important to you should be put on display or in a safe for safe keeping but your shouldn't be hesitant to get rid of things you wont be using on a regular basis.

we always use these (in different sizes) in our closets throughout the house to store toys, clothes, winter items, shoes, etc.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/187-###-###-####-###...

1 / 3