House Warming Party

OK- this is really a strange question-- and I know there are at least 3 people who read posts here who I know personally... But I don't know who to ask and I'm curious to hear all of the points of view I'll get here...
I'm moving to a new home this summer, and it'll be our first house that we own ourselves. I want to have a house warming party after we get settled because I want everyone to see our house... but I feel funny because I don't want it to seem like I'm just having a party so that people will buy us presents... So I thought of actually putting on the invitation not to bring a gift... But classy people more than likely will not show up empty handed... And the thing is, I really don't want plants (I have a black thumb and they'll all be dead within a week) or a bunch of other things that I don't want (like candles or ugly nick nacks)that will end up at Goodwill... So... If people are going to bring gifts anyway, shouldn't I register and have them bring something I want?? I feel so awful and materialistic... but if you follow my line of thinking above, I really will be not having a house warming party for the gifts... but I DO want my friends and family to see the house... What is the "right" thing to do???

Thanks for the responses... I think no matter what you call the party (house warming, BBQ, wine and cheese...), when people come over for a gathering to see your brand new home for the first time, I think they will not come empty handed... so I think registering is a good idea... I still haven't decided yet how to word the invitations... But you know what? The more I think about this, a house full of people (mostly everyone I know has kids!!!) scares me a bit, so maybe I'll just invite a couple of friends over here and there for coffee instead of one big party!

T.,

My suggestion would be to put something on the invitation:

"Gifts are not necessary, however, gifts certificates to (insert 2-3 favorite home stores) are appreciated if you so desire."

Anytime I get plants that I can't find a spot for or just don't like, I donate them to a community garden or a school.

I just went thru the same thing. I had a housewarming party/bbq. I also did register. Many people came without gifts :-(. And a slight few brought gifts. Registering is great because I found when certain friends/family would ask what do I need, it was easier for me to say that I was registered then saying an exact item since you never know how much they are willing to spend. Good Luck :-)

N.

if i were you, i would just put it straight in the invitation. "I'm inviting you to a house warming party to celebrate us buying our new home. No gifts are necessary. Just bring yourself! If you feel you must bring a gift, I did register at ***** for your convenience. But again, gifts are not expected."

maybe that would be good. :) good luck! and congrats!

Don't label your party. Invite friends over for a BBQ. They are going to ask if there is anything you need (People don't like to show up at others houses empty handed). Tell them to bring wine or beer or a dessert or anything that will be consumed at the BBQ.

If you truly don't want the gifts, ask your guests to donate any amount of money they would normally spend on gifts to your favorite charity in your name. It will make it less awkward, and go to a good cause.

C. M.

T.,

Hi Tammy!
I think everyone had great responses... so I'm probably going to sound redundant - but...

My hubby and I threw a housewarming party for our first house (ummm...8 years ago..wow!), and put "Gifts not neccessary" on the invite. Some people still brought things, but mostly just cards and wine which we ALWAYS appreciate.

I think registering and "announcing it" on the invite would be tacky. I do think however, that if you set up a wishlist, that you can just keep ongoing that is okay. That way if someone ASKS you what you want, just direct them to your wishlist. You can create a wishlist on amazon.com, or my family uses www.wishrepublic.com. Every member of my family has a list on there, and so I always know what they need/want. My playgroup does this as well. It's SO nice! Especially at birthdays and holidays.

Hope that helps!

H.

i would just put "your gift is your presence" and then maybe let them know that they can bring some type of food.

I wouldn't worry about it. If someone brings you a gift, accept it graciously - if anyone asks if there is anything they can bring, ask them to bring a refreshment of some sort, but please nothing else.

1 / 3