House Has Bad Smell - Need Help!

We moved into a one year old house about a year ago. The previous owners had a dog and did have the carpets cleaned before they left. When we moved in the house smelled very much like dog. We used many different kinds of cleaners bought at the store (Arm&Hammer Pet Fresh and Complete Pet Stain&Odor Remover) to try to remove the scent. It still smells just horrible in the house. Any ideas or suggestions? I am willing to try just about anything!

i use to raise reptiles and work for a pet company . we used this stuff its greatit is called OdoBan i bought it buy the gallon makes 32 gallons their web site is cleancontrol.com ,,,i hope this works as well for you has it has for me i'm stilling using it years later

Unfortunately, the smell might have gotten as deep as the wood under the carpet. Especcially, if the dog did business in the home. We had this problem in our first house, cat. 2 things that were suggested to us. Air Purifier, b/c it kills "THE GERMS" that cause the orders, and this stuff called Basic G,Germicide from shaklee. Goet it from www.yourhealthyalternatives.com . Hve to go to shopping area, then put basic G in search, but should come up. These 2 did the job immediately, and smell stayed gone. Hope this helps.

I moved into a house just like that a few years back. The renters had four BIG dogs and they had trouble housebreaking them!! They had also had the carpets cleaned, but JUST cleaned, nothing else.
I ended up calling Stanley Steamer. They came out and not only treated the carpet, but cleaned it with an enzyme type cleaner that not only got out ALL the nasty DOG smell, but they got the carpet 7 shades cleaner. I found out, from a old swatch in the garage, that the carpet was not supposed to be brown, but was in fact, a pretty light blue!! The whole treatment only cost about $350, but was SOOOOOOOO worth it. I guess you can clean and clean, but without any type of enzyme cleaner, the pet urine and smells wont come out.

Hope it works for you.

Urine odor, from any source, can be a nightmare to get rid of. Especially in carpet. From what I understand, it is the protein in the urine that haunts us and causes the smell. In carpet, it soaks into the carpet backing, pad, and whatever type of floor the carpet is covering. Even if you replace the carpet, the smell will come back if you do not treat the main floor, especially on damp or humid days. Since you live near Houston, you probably have a constant problem with the humidity. I clean my carpet with Basic H2 from Shaklee because it is organic and can clean anything that can be cleaned in water. In your predicament, I would have someone loosen the carpet from the wall, clean the carpet and bottom floor, and replace the pad. If you thoroughly soak the carpet backing and the floor, the odor should be gone. Good luck and hope this suggestion saves you some money. Pad is cheaper than new carpet.

I had the same problem at my previous home. The hallway stunk of dog urine from previous owner, always worse in the summertime. The only way to completely get rid of the smell is to rip out the old carpet, scrub the floor, and put new pad and carpet down.
I couldn't afford to do that so what I did was steam clean the carpet with a vinegar solution-- 1 part vinegar to 3 parts hot water. I used that instead of the shampoo in the steam cleaner. After the carpet was dry, I sprinkled baking soda, left it over night, and vacuumed it up in the morning. The smell would be gone for 3-4 months and as soon as we caught a whiff of it I'd clean the carpet again.
I hope this helps...and good luck.

Try Odoban from Sam's. WE had a rug we bought at Pottery barn and it smelled like rubber and after 2 different days of spraying it with odoban we have never smelled that rubber smell again

"Simple Solution" or "Nature's Solution" it may be called now.....it works like magic on pet smells and even mildew/mold smells. You can get it at Petsmart and you can tell its the right stuff if it smells kind of like baby lotion.

My name is D. and I am a distributor for an air purifier with a company called EcoQuest. I am almost 100% confidant that our units would clean that smell for you and leave your house smelling like a thunderstorm had just come thro there and left it with that clean smell we smell after a thunderstorm. I had a man from Beaumont call me just last week because of the very reason you are talking about and he had been into one of my customers homes and said "their house always smells so clean and they have Lola (their weimerimer)."
If you would like to give me a call I am at ###-###-####. These units also kill the e coli, salmonella, mersa, flu bugs on surfaces.

Thanks for your consideration,

1 / 3