Hot Shower Ok?

I know you are not supposed to do the jacuzzi or hot bath thing, but is it ok to take a hot shower when pregnant? I like my showers pretty hot and I have already taken a few lengthy ones, esp. when I was sick b/c I was so sore and this was in the very early weeks. Now I worry b/c I read that heating your body up can case neural tube defects. Does a hot shower really heat your body up the way a jacuzzi does? Should I be worried? :/

I LOVED my hot showers while pregnant! I think a shower is completely safe- you're not submerged etc. like in a jacuzzi. Wouldn't worry about it.

Enjoy your hot shower. You will need them.

OF COURSE! Do you think people take cold showers the whole time they are pregnant?? You can take hot baths as well!! You are just not meant to take EXCESSIVELY LONG hot baths. I took hot baths!! Just don't sit in there for an hour! Jacuzzi's are EXCESSIVELY Hot. Did you OB tell you not to take a bath?
Sometimes these Doctors are over the top!

I take baths every day instead of showers and did straight through both my pregnancies with no ill effects. It all depends on how high your body temp. rises and stays, so as long as it isn't for too long or scalding hot you really are ok. The shower is perfecly fine... just watch how you feel. If you feel dizzy or weak cetainly get out and sit down, but other wise...no worries.

Too long of a hot shower can cause defects to the fetus as well as the rest of your egg (ovum) supply for future babies. Heating up the body too much is also not safe for you. Try to limit your hot showers to 15 minutes and definately no longer than 20 minutes.
I know how you feel, while I was pregnant a hot shower was the only thing that could help me relax. What worked for me was starting with it hot until I warmed up, them turning it down while I soaped up, then ending with it hot again.

I asked my OB about hot showers. She told me not to worry about the ones I had in the past as it is doubtful that your body would get to the same level of heat as in a steam room/jacuzzi. If you didn't find yourself excessively sweating, etc. for a long period of time in your shower I'm sure your sweet little baby is fine.

I did it, it was my only joy as I was on bedrest. I also had to sit on a shower seat. My doc said no more than two to five minutes but sometimes I stayed in for ten. I loved and needed that shower.

I also take pretty hot showers and did so when I was pregnant. It is not the same as a jacuzzi, because your body is not emersed in the hot water, it is hitting you and running off.
Best of luck with your pregnancy, M.

Aloha J.-

Don't worry about taking a hot shower. Even though you think it is really hot, your baby is well insulated in his/her "bath water". When I was pregnant I used a jacuzzi frequently. I was told not to make it hotter than 105, and even 90 felt very hot to me.My baby was not harmed at all and thrived. It is amazing what you can do when you are pregnant, especially if it is something you have always done. My sister continued to ride her horse far into her pregnancy. Good luck with your baby and don't worry, that probably has more effect than your activities!

1 / 3