"Hot Behind the Neck"

What can I do about the sick hot feeling I get behind my neck? It also makes the back of my head hot. It only seems to do this in the mornings and when I lay down at night. Also, What do you recommend for a cold that runs down the back of your throat and causes you to get sick. What can I take that will dry it up but, not harm the baby. I'm only in the first trimester of my pregnancy. I want to feel better so please help me. Thank you for your time. Take Care, L.

Thank you for all the info. I will try everthing. Thank you, L.

If I am understanding you, I have backhead headaches, which might be what you describe, but I don't really feel so much hot as a headache confined to the backhead. Perhaps this will help. My nutritionist recommended eating high potassium foods. Headaches in the back of the head are indicative of potassium hunger. Some of the most common potassium foods are almonds, apples, bananas, broccoli, carrots, cucumber, grapes, pecans, raisins, spinach, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, walnuts. This is only a partial list. If you want, I can send you the complete list that I have. If I include a couple of these foods in my supper, I do not have the headache at bedtime nor do I wake with it. HTH, C.

For the drainage......heavy duty garlic foods or straight garlic will help a lot as garlic is a mucous thinner and will make it possible for the mucous to come up-out through the nose or spittle. Any other mucous-thinning foods and high fiber will help too.
Early Education and Development Specialist
Basic Trust: Family Support Services

Ginger tea works great for clearing mucus from a cold - also helps to settle the stomach...I sipped on Ginger tea (hot or iced) my entire pregnancies.

I am a senior midwife student. For your cold you can take any tylenol cold products. They are safe for pregnancy. As for the sick hot feeling it could be some indigestion issues. Try laying with your head elevated a little bit. Also, have you ever considered midwifery care for your pregnancy? Research has shown time and time again that birth outside of the hospital is at least as safe if not safer than birth in the hospital. Midwives also have been shown to have far better outcomes than OB's. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

Take Care,

The hot sick feeling is what I get when I feel like I am about to faint. I had a lot of morning sickness (even while I was in labor)when I was pregnant and I would also sometimes feel a little light headed and get that hot feeling. I treated it like a warning sign that I was about to faint.

Be sure to mention it to your doctor next time you see her so she can document it. I also had a great relationships with the nurses at the Drs. office. I could call them at any time and they gave great advice.

Hey L.: Not sure I understand your description of 'hot behind the neck'... Do you mean that your scalp is sweating at the base of your neck? Since I'm not sure I understand what you mean, this may not be useful... But my face/head always seem feverish when I have nausea. This might be something your body does in regard to morning sickness. Try one of those cold/frozen pads that you put in the freezer. Wrap a washcloth around it if it is too cold at first. Typically your local grocery store should have them for $9.

As for cold medicine... Sounds like you have a case of nasal drip. Maybe from allergies. Maybe because your sinuses and nasal tissues are changing (building more blood capilaries) so that they can pull more oxygen.. Its one of those things you body does when its pregnant however it can also make you more sensitive to sinus ailments/infections.

Truly, I would avoid taking *anything* over the counter during the first trimester. That's when the baby's development is most critical and sensitive to medications. Check with your doctor's office before taking anything (call the nurse if they doctor isn't available for phone questions).

However, in case this helps, here is a link to a site that says what you should avoid when sick and breastfeeding. I would think the same logic would apply to being pregnant...
http://breastfeedingbasics.com/html/when_moms.shtml

Hope you feel better. (Again, put a call into the doc's office).

I went to the store and bought bags of frozen corn. Before I went to sleep I would put one bag under my head behind my neck, and two others under my knees. About half way through the night I would get up and switch bags in the freezer. I know it sounds weird but I just go so hot I couldn't sleep! Hope this helps. I'm not sure about the throat thing.

The hot feeling is part of being preg. and will end. However the cold is something else. You might try some warm water with salt as a gargle. Or to help relieve the disconfort use some honey mixed with lemon juice. Is an old remedy but it works. Good luck.

1 / 3