Hosuebreakin a Dog

we recently bought a dog from the pound she is about 2months old. i am tryin to get some advice on how to housebreak her. anyone have any suggestions or tips.

thank you for all the advice we weill see what happens

I used a dog carrier for my dog (I got him when he was six weeks old, and is now 5 years old). You keep the dog in the carrier at night, and when you leave the house. As soon as you open the carrier door, immediately take the dog outside. He will get the message eventually. The majority of dogs do not like to soil the same area where they sleep. That is one reason the dog carrier is such a good place for them to stay at night, etc. But you also need to let them outside the same time every day. My dog goes out every morning, afternoon, and then around 9:00 pm. Never let him out of the carrier and run around the house. After a while, as soon as you open the carrier door, the dog will know to go outside and then come in to play, etc. If they ever get started using the indoors, you are doomed. Then they can smell that scent forever, no matter what you do. When you take the dog outside, always use the same command, like "go potty". Also use treats as well as praise, like "good dog". When they are still a puppy, you may also want to put the food and water bowls up and monitor when they eat and drink, until you get them house broken. Good luck!

My husband is a dog trainer, that is how I met him! If you have any questions or are interested in training, you can call him. David W. at ###-###-####.

Are you using a crate with the puppy. If so it won't go in his own space. With my puppy we took her out every hour for days.Finally she got the hint that we were suppose to be outside to potty. The puppy pads are not very good idea. Try the outside. You can reward your dog afterwards with a treat. Just remember to watch them when they start pacing back and forth that means it is time to go outside. Good luck with the rough task........

You really have to crate train. The key to the crate is not to use it as punishment... Take the dog out in the morning, after every meal, before bed(crate). Put her in the crate whenever you are not home, and at bedtime. Praise your dog every single time she "goes" outside, and scold your dog every single time she "goes" inside. You also have to consider how much you leave her alone. If you are at work or out fore 6 hours, you need to reward that pup with a lot of attention, and a good walk!!! I have always had an inside dog or 2, and we have never had a dog that didn't learn!!! We don't even have the crate for our dogs anymore. They will hold it till we get home...and all my dogs have ended up that way! Good Luck

The only thing that worked for our two (that we also got from the Humane Society), was keeping them outside during the day. Trust me, once they are used to "going" outside, they do not want to "go" in the house. Forget newspaper or training pads or any of the like. Keep the dog in your fenced yard or in a lot and your troubles will be over.

I don't agree with the other comments. I have house broken 2 dogs using the puppy pads. I don't believe dogs should be caged but that is another issue entirely.... I started by placing several on the floor covering their favorite potty spots, after a day I moved them a little closer to the door, then closer still, so on and so on until we were practically hanging the pad on the door. Now don't get me wrong this was only for when we couldn't be there for the dog, you will need to watch for signals (my dogs spun in circles) and take them outside otherwise they will not learn but this was a great backup system.
Hope this helps in your house!!

I highly recommend you look up Cesar Millan online and read his book, "Cesars Way".... Anyone that has dogs needs to read this book. It will answer all your questions... I have two dogs and this guy has made my life so easy with them! Cesar Millan... get to know him!

Our vet suggested this, and it sounds crazy, but I promise you it worked!-- We bought a jingle bell (the kind of big ones that you see on Santa belts or whatever). We put it on a long ribbon and hung it on the door knob of the door we take the dog out to potty (have it long enough that the dog could reach it with her paw). Each time we'd carry her out we would bend down and ring the bell near her face (so she could see what we were doing). After a week or so of this she walked over to the door, reached up with her paw and rang the bell, and stood there waiting for us to take her out!

We kept this up for a while, with her ringing the bell, and eventually she didn't feel it necessary to ring the bell any more. She would just go to the door and sit and wait for us to take her out!

1 / 3