Hospitals in Southern California

Hi mamas,

I was wondering if I could get some input on the hospitals in Southern California when it comes to labor and delivery wards. I am specifically wanting info on the hospitals in Riverside and San Diego counties. I would love to hear about your L&D experiences, good and bad, and any opinions you might have. Thanks!! :)

I delivered at Scripps Encinitas and had an awesome experience. I had an unexpected (not-quite emergency) c-section, and ended up staying a few days. They are very helpful, the baby stays with you all the time - only goes away for tests, and comes right back. The lactation helper comes right away to help you. We loved it. They also have great birthing classes through that hospital. Highly recommended.

Hi R.,

I put a tremendous amount of research into my hospital choice and I wound up choosing and giving birth to both my son and daughter at Sharp Mary Birch Hospital in San Diego and I highly recommend them. It is a women's hospital and they specialize in pre-natal care and delivery. They also have a NICU onsite and are across the street from Rady Children's Hospital. When we had unexpected complications with my son's delivery in 2005, I was grateful to know that the resources that we needed were right there. Since my children were born, I have met women that worked there in the past and left due to the commute - we are all in Temecula - and all of them have said that they believe it is the best in Southern CA when it comes to the Doctors and knowledgeable staff. Many of them are planning to go back to work there after working L&D at local hospitals. Congratulations to you and good luck in making your decision!

Hi R.,
I had a great experience with my first born at Palomar in Escondido. Many of my friends have delivered there too. It is a large hospital with many amenities for the mom. All the staff, including MDs and nurses were awesome.
My second birth was at Rancho Springs. Our insurance had changed and I could not go back to Palomar. It was an "ok" experience. The "patient teaching" was no where near Palomar's level. Fortunately, I felt experienced enough being my 2nd time around. I feel like they were understaffed and many of the nurses floated all over the departments and were not experienced in L&D and Postpartum.

Depends on what you are looking for but I highly recommend Scripps Encinitas, very natural birth friendly, great breastfeeding support and a new nicu in the maternity ward.

My first was a planned c-section (frank breech position) my second was an attempted vbac with support from my Dr. and hospital staff. It was a great effort but I did end up with a c-section. Both of my c-sections, including my labor with my second were wonderful experiences. I live north of Temecula and will do the drive for our 3rd.

Hi Robin,
I had my baby boy last March at Rancho Springs in Murrieta, CA. The staff was great, and the doctor's office was right across the street. I didn't like, however, that I had to share a room. I spent a day surrounded by these brown curtains, in a dark and tiny room with visitors coming in and out (my roommate's visitors). Very depressing. The hospital had been going thru a remodeling, and I believe the maternity ward has been completely moved to a new wing. I suggest you to take a tour before your big day. Good luck!

Hello, just wanted to add a few words about the hospitals in SD and Riverside county. I had my son 7 years ago at Kaiser in SD. I had a wonderful midwife for half of my labor (28hr labor) I had a tramatic labor and did not really care for Kaiser. The rooms & hospital are clean but I really did not care for their staff. Inland valley & Rancho springs , both are in Temecula are okay. Over crowded and send you home unless you are about to pop the baby out. Hard to find good Ob/gyns in the area. Sharp/Mary Birch in SD is wonderful, they even have a Nic unit. The hospital in Fallbrook is old and VERY outdated but has the nicest nurses. More of a small town feel. I have heard many,many bad stories about Kaiser in Riverside. I teach parenting classes and preschool and have heard about all the hospitals. I currently am trying to get PG after 7 years and have a concern about what hospital to deliver at. Rancho springs is building a new womens center and will be ready next year. I FINALLY found a good OB but he only delivers at Fallbrook. Decisions-decisions!!! :)
What specific things were you looking for? Email me if you have any more ?'s

take care :)

hi there!!
i recommend Palomar or Pomerado Hospital.They are very mom friendly. I used to work there for a number of years. They belong to the same health system (Palomar-Pomerado). Palomar is in Escondido and Pomerado is in Poway.
Because of insurance reasons I delivered my baby in Inland Valley Hospital 3 years ago, it was the worst experience ever.
Particularly this one nurse was like so careless and cold to me and my baby, I hate it the experience.I requested to have another nurse assigned and they did, but by that time,the other nurse had already spoiled my stay there and my memories of my daughter's birth. Don't let anyone do that to you.
And since their maternity floor has only few beds, they really rush you out of there and they make it very obvious that they want you OUT. You also have to share a room. In Palomar or Pomerado you have your own room, unless of course they have a full house with several births going on.
Good luck to you, M.

If you live on the border of Riveride and San Diego counties...then the number one hospital for delivering babies is Sharp Mary Birch - it's truly wonderful. If you can't travel that far the second best is Loma Linda or Palmerado Hospital. Steer clear of Inland Valley or Rancho Springs in Murrieta. Take a tour of Mary Birch and you'll see why it's #1 in So. California. (: I lived there for 10 weeks because of very serious pregnancy complications and my twin baby boys were delivered via c-section at 34 weeks. They were in the NICU (which is wnderful) for 19 days and now weigh 15 pounds at 4 months old. Fallbrook Hospital just south of Temecula is also great... an older facility but truly wonderful staff. Dr. Bianchi in Fallbrook was going to deliver me there until we discovered all the complications I had with my twins. Good Luck R.. (:

I had both of my babies via c-sections at Riverside Community in 2002 and 2004. I love the staff there, both times they were very nice and helpful. The L&D rooms are very nice and big enough for whoever you want in there.The after room are nice too but most are for two people. Which means you would be in there with another mom and baby. Any place you choose, should let you take a tour beforehand just call and ask them.

1 / 3