Horrible Nightmare About My Son Dying! Can't Get It Out of My Head.......

Hi Moms,
I hope this doesn't sound to silly to post about a nightmare but it's driving me crazy.
We live in a house that is literally right off of Hwy 66 which is a 6 lane road and traffic going 50 miles an hour or more alllll day long.
We also have no front or back fence which my husband says he'll get one put up but he's always working and I'm afraid he'll never find the time.

Since my son has started walking I always have this fear of him accidentally getting out and getting hit by a car.

My nightmare last night was of that actually happening. It was SO horrible and very graphic and every time I see him I think of the dream and can't seem to get it off my mind.
I guess what's scaring me the most is alot of my dreams/nightmares have come true and I just fear that this could be another one.....

I had a dog when I was 16 that I loved with all my heart get hit by a car and die. We also lived off a busy road but nothing like where we live now.
When she died it sent me into a serious depression for over a month. I cried day and night and I know that is another reason I'm so scared about my son.

He's not even 2 yet so he doesn't really understand not to go near the road.
I'm not really sure what I'm trying to get at here but maybe some of you Moms can share some experiences with fears or nightmares you have had with your children so I can calm down a little.
I've been a Mom for over 6 yrs now and never had a dream so bad throughout all of my Mommy years!

It was so bad I feel like the only way to get rid of my fear after this horrible dream is to move!
Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you mamas to all who have responded with sharing your stories with me and helpful ways to secure my home.
I still haven't been able to get the images out of my head yet but hearing some of the other dreams other moms have had about their children (and nothing ever happened to them) had seemed to help me out and hopefully I'll be able to stop thinking about it soon.

After talking to my Hubby more about the getting the fence up as soon as THIS WEEK, he "says" he will so hopefully that will be done very soon.
Thanks again to everyone who's helped me out!

Natalie,
It is not silly to ask about this nightmare.

Dreams can be God trying to tell us something. Usually that we need to pray about the person in the dream. I think there is no doubt you need to be in prayer. And that you should also do the other things that have already been suggested. (putting an extra lock at the top of the door where your son could not reach, installing a baby gate at the doors, putting up a fence, utilizing an alarm while at home, etc.)

You also need to equip yourself with some scripture to speak over yourself and your son.
Psalm 91:4-5
"4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,..."

I have had my son nearly drown, and nearly die of a terrible allergic reaction mixed with a terrible virus. I know that feeling of fear that can almost choke you. We have to remember that fear is not of the LORD. You cannot allow yourself to become consumed by fear. After you have prayed and taken action to protect your son, cast off your fear. Don't walk in that (fear), because that is an awful way to live.
Here is another verse to help:
1John 4:18
"18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear..."

Of course, like others have said, this may be a product of fear that you have due to the dog that you lost in this way and the fact that you are pregnant. I contend that if you pray about the safety of your son, and do the things recommended, and stand on the Word of God, then peace will come to you. You can ask God to take away your fear and replace it with peace of mind, also.

Romans 8:15
"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship.[a] And by him we cry, "Abba,[b] Father."

2 Tim 1:7
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Phil 4:7
"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

2 Cor 13:11
"And the God of love and peace will be with you."

Hope this brings you some relief.
~S.

I don't have any advice about the nightmare but maybe you could put a lock on your doors at the top that only adults can reach or have your husband install one of the door locks that locks from the inside with a key. Maybe this would help you to relax a little and would be a lot less time consuming than installing a new fence. I would still install the fence, I don't think you can ever have enough barriers from dangerous things when you have young kids. Sorry you had such a horrible dream. I'm sure you just dreamed it because it is something you think about and worry about daily.

You've received a lot of great advice.

One: Get quotes on a fence. If your husband is even remotely able to build things, he can put up a fence himself, a lot cheaper than going with a builder, but DEFINITELY call and get quotes the fence, that way it's something he does not have to do.

Two: Get an alarm system on the house. We have one that beeps when you open doors and windows so you know something is opened. This was truly a lifesaver when my oldest two were little, before my husband built our fence.

We actually had a child get hit and killed in the alleyway about 4 houses down a few years before we moved in.

Also, when I was pregnant (all 4 times) I had the craziest dreams, not all of them happy dreams, and several that woke me up crying. Just remember they are dreams. The fence though is a real issue and talk about it constantly until your DH gets that resolved. Let him know how important it is.

And like another reader stated, if something were to happen to your child, ya'll would never be able to forgive yourself.

Hi N.,
Believe it or not it is pretty common to have nightmares about our children getting hurt. I believe it is because all we do all day long is worry about them and keep them safe. I used to dream that I would walk into the bathroom to find my daughter drowned in the tub. It was so vivid!! Its horrible and it takes a while to get it out of your head. I definitly think you should buy a lock for the top of the door that only you or your husband would be able to reach. This would give you peace of mind!!! Take care!

I think you should have a handy man put up a fence if your husband can't or some neighbors help with the project or social/church friends/ volunteers. but aside from that you might be having the dream and anxiety as a manifestation of some area of your life being out of sorts. plus you are expecting a baby so that makes you have more anxiety and stress and hormones can make us worry about all kinds of things.

like its not really the fence and road you are worried about maybe its where you are in life and feeling unsafe and unsecure in an area of your life and it is manifestating to the anxiety over your son??? who knows I just know that when parts of my life are under stress or in chaos then I have anxiety about totally unrelated things and dreams also. Talk to your hubby and let him know that you are really stressed out and feel unsafe with no fence and see if he can orgonize some way to put up a small fence. or get one of those play yard fences that are like a dog pen but for kids. Good Luck, AJ

I would push your husband for the fence or to move. I needs to be a priority for the safety of your son and to ease your anxiety. I understand that he works, but make him find the time if you can. Your husband would never forgive himself if something did happen. He would wish that he had taken the time to do this very important thing. Even if you don't have the money...try to get a Lowe's credit card or something. They have very easy to install, prebuilt sections of fencing in different materials. It would be worth the probably $20-30 month payments to have peace of mind. Good luck.

I am so sorry that you had such a horrible dream I can only imagine how it made you feel. My mother always told me that your dreams are trying to tell you something. Anytime you dream of someone dying it means that someone is having a baby. If you fear something in your dreams do something about it. Maybe this is God's way of telling you to extra careful with your children around this street. I know your little boy is to young to understand, but you can do somethings around your house to make you feel more comfortable. My two year old can now open all doors in the house so I always make sure to lock them and double check them all day long. Also you can keep your alarm on so that if he did somehow open the door the alarm would go off and warn you. You could also put up a baby gate outside the front door so if he does open the door the baby gate will stop him from getting out. Another idea is fencing the front yard in so that if he did get out he could not get into the street. I don't really know if that is an option for you, but it would cost a lot less than moving.

When I was preg with my first I had terribly graphic nightmares about my dogs dying- ripped to shreds, poisoned, everything. I would wake up drenched in sweat and crying. The images haunted me during the day. It was awful. Then after my baby was born, I had nightmares about horrible things happening to her- leaving her carseat on top of the car and driving off- with her in it... That was pretty bad, too. All I can tell you is that I was told it's normal. It just shows you how much you love your child. I've had dreams come true in the past as well, but those never did. Hold in there. They'll probably go away- just in time for you to develop a new fear to have nightmares about. ;)
Good luck!!!

1 / 3