Horrible Gag Reflex

I am almost 10 weeks pregnant and I'm gagging on EVERYTHING! When I brush my teeth, when my hair gets in my face, when I eat bananas, and the list goes on...I didn't experience this in my first pregnancy. Is this normal and is there anything I can do to help it? Does it go away?!

Thanks, moms! I'm still gagging several times a day on some wierd things, but I'm comforted to know that it SHOULD go away soon.

I also gagged a lot in the first trimester. It got better as the pregnancy progressed, but I always gagged when brushing my teeth and for some reason it was worse when my husband was around!

Ditto here. I am 31 weeks today and this baby can't be born soon enough! I still gag most days when I brush my teeth, but it is not as bad now. Early on, I found that if I could wait until later in the day to brush my teeth, it was a little easier (kinda gross, I know), but what I would do is just rinse with like ACT or something and then brush my teeth at 10 or 11 am. The other that helped me was eating lemon sorbet or sherbet (yeah, for breakfast). The cold would help stop the gagging and the strong citrus would help with any nausea.

i had to get rid of my laundry detergent for the same reason! also, a yet to be discovered source in my kitchen had some sort of perfumy scent that made me gag as well. i'm 36 weeks along now and still gag with certain smells, so for me it never fully went away. hopefully you'll have better luck! congratulations!

Yep, I had the same thing. It started about that time also. Everything I ate I got sick! I also had all the same things you are going through! My went completely away around the 4 month mark. I was also concerned because it was really no fun at all! This was my first pregnancy, and I wasnt sure if I ever wanted another one. My doctor reassured me that every pregnancy is different! Good luck and hang in there it should pass!

No answers here, just a whole lotta EMPATHY!!! I had the same issue for as long as I had morning sickness (which was like 4 months w/ my 2nd one), and it lessened when the general overwhelming nausea finally passed, but it really didn't go away completely for me until I was no longer pregnant. I'm sure it different for every woman - that was just my experience with that ridiculous, unexpected gagging thing.

Congrats on your pregnancy! :)

Hey Katheryn, I will be 11 weeks tomorrow. This is my first child. I have experienced some the gagging as well.. Espically the gaging over the toothpaste. It is very normal. I was talking to my mom the other day and she was saying how she would gag over everything when she was pregnant.
I have tried using differnt kinds of toothpaste. I think it's just cause you are in the beginning of your preganancy. I think it should go away within a couple of weeks. I hope that hepls. :)

Hi Katheryn,
I read your post and had to smile because I went through the same thing. The worst was the smell of the garage - I would dry heave every time I would leave for work in the morning. And the garage was clean - what the heck!! I had the toothpaste thing too.

I can't remember when it went away but it did. Until then, I always made sure to be standing near the bathroom sink when brushing my teeth you know, just in case. And, whenever I went into the garage, I just tried to get in the car as fast as I could while holding my breath.

Good luck - it will pass!

This is completely normal and hopefully it will go away after your first trimester. I am 23 weeks and still get sick a couple of times a week, and always when I brush my teeth. It is not a fun side effect of pregnancy, that's for sure! My midwife gave me medicine to help me at night, when it seems to be at it's worst. Maybe you could try askind your doctor about that. I always tell myself that in the end it is all worth it. Good luck and congratulations!

I had this with all 4 of my pregnancies. I would even gag if my shirt was too snug around my neck. My husband was lacking in the "attention" dept during my pregnancies and we tried orajel to numb the gag reflex. I was then able to brush my teeth etc. it helped a lot. You might try it just to numb the gag reflex a bit. Or you could just wait it out, but mine did not stop until AFTER I was not pregnant anymore.
As for the smells, I could not walk near the garbage can without tossing my cookies!! We had to put ours outside the back door so I would not smell it!
~Jenn

1 / 3