Horrible Congestion in 11 Month Old

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. My daughter has had congestion in her chest since 3 weeks old and is now 11 months. I have asked the doctor repeatedly for reasons why or ways to help with it. All I seem to get is offers for clarinex or nysonex. I am one of those people who do not want to give daily meds unless it is absolutly neccesary. So far I use a humidifier on days that the congestion makes it hard for her to breath, problem is she has problems napping or sleeping when it is on. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I would like to say thank you to everyone who responded. I could not get my daughter into a new doctor so I went back to her normal one but was more stern about my concerns. The doctor is going to work with me on finding out what allergy she has. This week we are checking for milk and dust allergy and then on from there.
Finally the congestion is gone. She is allergic to milk. Thanks again!!

My Son had lots of congestion problems. At eight months old he got an ear infection. They put him on antibiotics and after two weeks the infection was gone but there was still fluid in the ears. They kept him on the antibiotics to prevent more infections until the fluid could drain off. After a month the doctor said if they could not get the fluid off they would have to put tubes in his ears. He felt that the overall congestion in his chest and sinuses was preventing the fluid from draining and put him on Singulair granuals and Zyrtec. After about a week the congestion was gone. I couldn't believe how much it had helped him. When we went back the fluid was gone out of his ears and they decided to keep him on the allergy meds. I did not like the idea of daily meds either at this age but the change was so dramatic. He still gets colds occasionally but he does not have the constant congestion that goes on and on. I hope this helps.

My daughter also stayed very congested, but more so in the head and nasal areas versus the chest. We were referred to both an ear nose throat doctor, as well as an allergist. We found out that she had a severe sinus infection and needed to be treated with antibiotics. Thankfully she wasn't allergic to anything, but it was worth getting the test done. The allergist ended up prescribing a decongestant which was ultimately the only thing that seemed to help. The clarinex and other stuff didn't work for us either. Try seeing those two types of doctors and see if they can help. Good luck!

It may be time to consider meds. Has she ever had breathing treatments? Could it be asthma? I would definatly talk to the dr. about it.

My daugher has been congested since birth too. She is now 20 months. They have decided she needs to have tonsils and adnoids taken out. Besides the congestion, she has sleep apnea and has trouble eating due to the large tonsils. We go tomorrow to have her tonsils and adnoids out. I hope this will help with her congestion. You may want to ask your doctor about the T&A surgery.

Hi J.- My daughter had the same problem after returning to the doctor- every week for three weeks!! they gave me a a nebulizer! I gave her breathing treatments 3 times a day for a week and he congestion cleared up!

If she is having a hard time breathing- ask for a nebulizer!

Your daughter sounds like she has asthma! I have a daughter who is now 23 and she had all those problems and I finally got her to an asthma Dr. (own my own) and found out that she had asthma and allergys and now she is doing great!! That Dr. saved my daughters life because if I hadn't gotten her to him when I did she would have probably died within a few months. Good Luck to you and your daughter!

Have you ever heard of RSV? It's a dangerous respiratory infection that occurs in infants. I'm not saying your child has this because if she did she wouldn't be able to breath properly. BUT, what I am saying is you should take her to another doctor. Someone who'll listen, because that could turn into something very bad for her. Babies can die from RSV and it can cause serious damage to the lungs. Please, I would get another opinion and you are entitled to it. It's very hard to find dr.'s now a days that will listen to you. When you find one, you better hang on to him/her.

And pray over her! God is still in the healing business.

God Bless!
In Him,
G.

As soon as I read your problem, I knew it was a food allergy. I have the same problems with congestion due to food allergies at 40 yrs. old! I definitely would change doctors!!!

My son who is now two has been dealing with that problem off & on for the past year. I tried a humidifier and to me it didn't help at all, so I went to the doctor and the prescribed me something different from the meds they have given you. I can't think of the name off hand but if you go to your doctor and tell them that what they have given you hasn't been working, they can tell you better. This medicine you only give to them twice a day for 5 days and it should clear it right up. found it, the name is Prelone. They gave him that on the 22nd of last month so he no longer has to take it but it helped so much.But you know what, my son has asthma. I had been taking him to the doctor since he was six months addressing that concern and they gave me different meds that didn't work and then a little after he turned 1 is when they finally admitted that his problem was asthma, so you might want to ask about that especially if you have anyone in your family who has had any problem like that.

1 / 3