Hormonal Imblance and Trying to Get Pregnant

Hi All,

So i have been trying to get pregnant for about 8 months. In that 8 months though, I have had about 12 cycles. My whole life I have been irregular and so finally when i was 20 i went on the pill. I stayed on it until i was 26 and got off to start a family. I got pregnant right away. My son is 2.5 now and because i never went back on the pill, i am extrememly irregular. I have been looking up things on the internet and I am positive i have a hormonal imbalance. I have been told before i have high testosterone--who knows what else. I get hair in places i shouldnt. So my question is, what do i do? do i see my OB, my PCP, a homeopath? I really have no idea. I dont want to go on drugs for the hormones because experience has taught me those solutions only band aid the problem. Can anyone help?

I would suggest a homeopath, because taking drugs/hormones, as you say, could drastically affect the entire situation.

My progesterone was low, so I'm supposed to use a hormonal creme twice daily. there's no way I'll do hormone replacement stuff.

Hi D.,
I had the same problem. I went to my ob and went on a low dose of progesterone to balance out the hormonal imbalance and after about 2 mos o fthat My doc told me that if I hadnt gotten pregnant in 2 more mos he would also put me on a low dose of clomid which is a pill that makes you ovulate. I too had already had one child and I ended up getting pregnant the next month so no clomid for me. The only risk with clomid is that it gives you a greater chance of twins because sometimes the body will ovulate 2 eggs instead of one. Anyways good luck and I hope this helps you.
E.

D.,

Hi, I had a similar problem and didn't know it. After 9 months of seeing a fertility specialist, I was still unable to conceive. I gave up on them and started seeing an acupuncturist that specializes in fertility. He was able to see that I was hormonally unbalanced. Through herbal supplements (including progestrone and thryroid) and of course acupuncture, I was able to get pregnant!!!! YEAH!!! Contact me if you have further questions. Good luck to you.

Renee

I also say "see your OB"...they can do the blood work to check out your hormones and even do a referral to an endocrinologist if there's something amuck with your glands (thyroid, pituitary, etc) which can/do regulate hormones that may be impacting your ability to get pregnant. My OB detected in me an imbalance when I started missing my period (I too was off the pill for some time)... it just seemed to stop. That blood work led to me seeing other specialists, which ultimately led to a removal of a tumor on my pituitary gland. Happy to say... i got pregnant shortly thereafter. Best of luck!

I would suggest trying a combination of practitioners. I've had some success with a naturopath (who uses some homeopathic remedies) and an accupunturist. It is a natural way to gently address your hormonal issues. Good for you for not going the band-aid route! Also, Vitex (chasteberry) is a good herb that helps rebalance your hormones. If you want the name of the naturopath, contact me. Also, a good book on the subject is The Infertility Cure by Randine Lewis. I found it helpful and also affirming of my choice to not take artificial hormones.
It does sound like you may have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I know that it is treatable. A friend of mine has had two children since she was diagnosed.

M. M.

go to your ob. I dont think there is any permanent solution to balancing hormones... everyday your body makes different levels of hormones depending on where you are in your menstral cycle.

All you really need is a band aid solution to get things working until you get pregnant..

I say see your OB and figure out what you're working with, is ita hormone imballance or something else. After that you can research other options, but if you don't know what the problem is how are you going to fix it? My aunt had good luck getting pregnant using acupuncture although I'm not sure what the issue was.

I would second the vitex suggestion - it's great at regulating testosterone. If you are nervous about using herbs I would find a holistic health consultant or naturopath doctor to help you.

An Endocrinologist will be able to check your hormone levels. You may have to see your primary doctor first and they can run tests, if they dont find anything ask for a referral to an Endocrinologist.

If you have higher levels of testosterone, you may have lower levels of progesterone or estrogen, which are necessary to conceive and to maintain a pregnancy. These hormones are found in birth control pills. If you did end up having to take hormones it would only be with the pregnancy and then you should be okay afterwards unless there is a major deficit. Don't worry about the hair thing, I think we mothers all have hair growing where it shouldn't be and losing it where we should have it!! Oh yeah, go to your OB.

1 / 3