Honey Graham Crackers Okay for One Year Old to Eat?

My MIL fed my son some honey graham crackers today and he loved it and so she kept feeding it to him. I read that babies should not eat honey until they are past one year. My son just turned one year a couple days ago. Is this okay for him to eat ?

Just want to add that the graham crackers she got is the Earth's Best brand of organic graham crackers that are actually called honey stick. There is no high fruitose corn syrup or hydrogenated oil. Not sure if that is any better than the regular graham crackers.

Yes, totally fine...it's just the raw honey that shouldn't be consumed. Once it's "baked" or cooked, it completely changes the chemical makeup. I would just watch how many of the graham crackers he eats because it can have the same effects on him as what too many prunes/too much prune juice does :)

Raw honey, but it's hard to find that anymore, so no worries. Also, honey not the major sweetener....and it IS pastuerized, since the graham cracker is cooked, right? The honey is not raw, but the sweeteners before that are

SUGAR and HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP

and contains partially HYDROGENATED OIL, which everyone is so concerned about regarding heart disease.

Basically, graham crackers are completey processed and turn into pure sugar when your baby's body digests it, increasing his risk of type 2 diabetes. A carb source that is better, is veggies and even fruits not in syrup. Maybe get TLC Crackers Original 7 Grain?

UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, GRAHAM FLOUR (WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT FLOUR), SOYBEAN OIL AND/OR PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, HONEY, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SOY LECITHIN - AN EMULSIFIER, CORNSTARCH. CONTAINS: WHEAT, SOY.

Its fine. Pure honey is not rec. for infants under a year, but your son is already over a year so its no big deal-- the concern regarding honey is about botulism. If your 1 yr old will eat it, great---graham crackers are great snacks!

M

My guess would be they are fine - the warnings are against straight honey, which can cause botulism in children under a year. I don't think there is enough actual honey in the graham crackers to be an issue but you should still call your pediatrician to know for sure.

Honey graham crackers are fine and quite easy for a small child to eat. It's the raw/natural honey that you need to stay away from. I will say that a Kaiser advise nurse told me buckwheat honey (it's dark brown, not golden) has recently been found to help small kids with coughs and recommended I give it to my 3 year old. I couldn't find it and so I didn't, something to look into though.

They are fine. That honey is pasteurized. But, what I would be concerned about is the hydrogenated oils ... ;)

You're good to go! If you want to make homemade graham crackers, these are delicious and fun to make!
http://weelicious.com/2010/09/01/graham-crackers/

Your son is fine!!! My daughters ate those crackers even before they were 1 and my Dad gave them to the girls (he is a Pedi) b/c it is safe. The warning is for RAW Honey not the processed/cooked honey in items like that.

1 / 3