Honey - Alamogordo,NM

I am EXTREMELY worried now..

My 10 & 1/2 month old daughter was given honey (about 1TbSp) once last night, and once tonight (same amount)..
She was fine all day today, normal behavior, appetite, and bowel movements.

I am no longer going to allow her to have honey..

***Do you think she should be fine from only having that much?***

I am going to get no sleep tonight at all, from worrying.

I had no Idea honey could cause problems in a child.
***When should I not have to worry anymore, like when should the honey be out of her system?***

Thanks
(*** indicates main concern)

the problem with honey is that is can carry a bateria that makes infants, who have immature immune systems, sick. having honey doesn't mean they WILL get sick, just that it's a possibility. just keep an eye on her and if she starts running a fever take her in to the doctor. she'll probably be just fine. the honey will probably be out of her system within 24 hours. you can always call your doctors office if your really worried and speak with a nurse about it.

I don't think you should be worried at all. If your daughter is otherwise healthy a few tablespoons of honey at 10 1/2 months is not going to hurt her. If she was 5 months I would worry. At this point she has had some shots and probably fought off a few colds helping to strengthen her immune system. I am sure she is strong. What do you think is going to change between now, 10 1/2 months, and six weeks from now when she is 1 yr and "allowed" some honey? Not much. Honey, bought from the grocery store, is processed, reprocessed, heated and reheated. The chance of it containing botulism spores is a very tiny percentage. If your getting your honey from your backyard thats a different story.
I suggest the book BabyFacts.. forget the Author. But a book of myths and facts about these types of worries.
We use honey as a cough suppressant for our 16 month old and it works great, better than cough syrup.

The risk with honey is really for unpasturized or raw honey due to botulism. You may want to speak with your pediatrician for things to look for. I know that developing a droopy eye can be one symptom. But if your child didn't have raw honey (check the bottle) then you are probably fine.

Hey there,
Just as Becki said below the only honey you have to worry about is raw honey. Just so you know most honeys you buy from the store are already cooked so I would check that and if you had cooked or pasturized honey you have NO worries. If its raw then just keep an eye on her and if you are really concerned I would check with a doctor who knows more of what he is talking about.

Honey can cause problems in kids 1 and under because it can be contaminated by a bacteria known as clostridium, which can be a cause of botulism, and kids under 1 may not have a strong enough immune system that can fight it off. Just watch for symptoms of botulism such as constipation, weak cry, trouble swallowing, or muscle weakness. Unfortunately, it can take up to 3-4 weeks for symptoms to appear if she is going to get sick. On the other hand, botulism is very rare and is usually treatable, so just keep an eye on her and be alert to any changes. If you do notice any odd symptoms, then call your pediatrician asap so you can figure out what's going on.

Really, please don't worry! The problems that can arise from honey are EXTREMELY rare. Did you know that in the old days mothers used to soak pacifiers in honey before giving them to babies? It's not a given that honey can cause problems - just an unlikely possibility. Thus, avoid honey when you can, but realize that actual occurrences of issues from honey are very, very unusual.

1 / 3