Homonal Acne

I have been getting acne on my face and body when I am on or around my period. I've been told it's hormonal. I didn't have these problems as a teenager so I'm not really sure what to use. I get it on my face, back, chest, even on my scalp, today I woke up with one on my neck. It only happens around my period, so I'm not sure if I should use something all the time of just around this time. I've always been a tomboy so I don't really know much about this stuff. Can anyone help me? Please?

M.,

You've got to try Proactiv. I am 34 and never broke out as a teen either, but now, because I answer phones all of the time at work and since my kids, my chin breaks out on a regular basis, especially around my period. About 3 1/2 weeks ago (after trying every acne product on the market), I bought some Proactiv for my son who is 13. I began using it and after only 1 week I noticed a difference in my skin that I couldn't believe. A week ago, my period started and I didn't get one zit on my chin. I usually get a huge one. This stuff really works. I had tried the imitation stuff before, but it didn't even work. You've got to try this stuff. You can get an entire set pretty cheap on ebay. You won't believe the difference it makes. If it worked for me then I know it can work for you. I haven't had one zit since I started using it. It's amazing. I just thought it was a bunch of hype because I hadn't known anyone who had used it. I bought a back brush and I even put it on that and use it on my butt (I sometimes break out there), and my back, although I don't have many breakouts there. Try it!!!! It is definitely worth it!!!!! If you have any questions about it, please email me at ____@____.com

http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/content/article/36/172...

I know how you feel. I hardly very had any zits as a teenager, but now I get them a lot. Anyway I hope this site helps you find some answer.

if your skin is usually normal all the rest of the month, just use a gentle cleanser designed for normal or even sensitive skin...i like clean and clear stuff. and make sure to use an oil free moisturizer with an spf 15 or higher everyday. a few days b4 your period is due to start and during and maybe a day or to after, use a cleanser made for oily skin to helpprevent more break outs. and keep usuing the moisturizer...sounds like a contradicition, but oily skin stills to me moisturized. if you get shiny during the day, try blotting papers to soak up the oil. also make sure all of your face make-up say oil free or noncomodigenic(Spelling?) that just means it won't clog your pores. I'm a licensed cosmetologist by the way. hope this helps...happy holidays. M.

M.,

I use the acne medication from Mary-Kay. The only time you use it is when you see one start to pop up, when it starts getting red and a bump forms, you know when you about to get one. Put the cream only on the area and usually within the next day or so it's gone. I've had some that I put the cream on at night before bed and the next morning it's gone. It's great, you don't have to worry about sun exposure, you can put it on under your makeup and it comes in a little tube so you can carry it around. If you don't have a Mary-Kay Rep let me know, my sister-n-law sales and I can give you her info. I wouldn't try Rx medication just yet, especially things like Retn-A, you really have to look at the directions because a lot of it your not supposed to be in the sun for a certain amount of time and it dries your skin out. You can email me if you would like her number: ____@____.com Hope this helps. A.

I never had acne as a teenager and experienced the same type of breakouts as you described after the birth of my second child. Tried pro-active...dried out my skin. Also tried a few other things but to no avail. A friend turned me on to Arbonne skin care line of RE9. It did the trick! I rarely ever have a break-out now. I now sell the products because I believe in them. If you are interested in giving it a try I would be happy to send you some samples. I believe in trying before buying! ###-###-#### L.

Also I would reccomend this book to you. As women our bodies do some crazy things, but just know that you are not alone!
Hormone Heresy - What Women MUST Know About Their Hormones. Sherill Sellman
L. F

Ive had acne all my life, since i was 12 or so. Im now 27. Its gotten worse over the years, since my horomones decided to get crazy. Ive tried everything on the market. But as of late, I have recently found a new product that is all natural and has done wonders for my skin. Normally, around " that time of the month" i would break out everywhere. But since I have been using this new product, My breakouts have lessened to maybe 2 or 3 pimples on my face during that time. Email me and we'll exchange contact information, and we can get you set up with an account. The price on this 3 step formula i think is about 13.00 or so. This company that i am referring to also sells all natural products for your home, such as laundry detergent, soaps, cleaning supplies, vitamins, candles, etc. If your interested in knowing more, email me. THanks and happy new year!

A.

Me too :-(

I use Neutrogena's "Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish" products (especially the cream) and their "Blackhead Eliminating™ 2-in-1 Foaming Pads".

If you want to go the prescription route, you could ask your doctor to prescribe a birth control pill that is known for helping with acne. Many women find that any birth control pill improves acne, but some formulations are better than others eg. Ortho Tri-cyclen, which has been approved by the FDA for treating acne (see www.orthotricyclen.com for more info).

The other prescription treatment for acne is isotretinoin (either in pill form or as a topical cream). Since it is known to cause birth defects your doctor won't prescribe it unless you are using birth control so you may as well try the Pill first. See www.ipledgeprogram.com for all the hoops you have to jump through to get isotretinoin.

Make sure you only use lotions or products that say they are non-camdeogenic (will not clog pores). I use Desert Essences Tea Tree cleansing pads and they really help. You can get them in any health food store, or online. Stay away from chemical products, you do not want all that junk to absorb into your body. Also, try to ditch your dairy products, this will help immensley. If you give up dairy and meat around your time you will find your periods will be lighter and shorter in duration. The hormones in the animal products will make your uterus shed more, thus creating a heavier period. If you need any help making the change or want some additional info send a message my way. Good luck to you!

1 / 3