Homemade Treats in School

Do any of you know why the schools stopped allowing them? We can't think of a single reason that makes sense, but there must be some political reason behind it. Everything must be store bought now and not only does it cost a lot more but the store bought stuff doesn't taste as hood. When we were growing up, we had room mothers who would vounteer to brin in cupcakes, cookies etc for the party/occasion. I wish my kids could have the same fun experience.

It's not political. It is safety concerns. Usually if you store buy something, the ingredients are listed right on the box. Plus, you take out the element of somebody putting something dangerous in the treats at home.

When I was still in highschool, one of the "big" boys that got picked on a lot brought homemade cookies with exlax (sp?) in them! He passed them around to a bunch of the jocks who were picking on him. Lets just say that they spent the rest of the school day in the bathroom.......

Situations like that have contributed to this rule!

As others have mentioned, I have heard of school banning home made treats due to allergies. My daughter's preschool however just recently requested all snacks due to the flu outbreaks and illnesses going around.

C.,

I studied elementary education in college and we were told it was a health and safety reason.

My college professor was a principle at a local elementary school. He told us a story of a "cake walk" back in the days when you could bake treats and bring them. He was chatting with a Kindergarten boy who said, "Do you want to hear a funny story? My mom baked one of those cakes and frosted it last night. When we woke up, we realized our cat had licked off all the frosting!" The principle asked, "Did your mom have to make a new cake?" The Kindergartener replied, "No, she just re-frosted it." The principle grabbed the cake before anyone "won" it, but the point was made.

Also, if people don't wash their hands before preparing food, there can be transmission of Hepatitis, viruses, etc. Lots of kids have food allergies now and if someone prepares food at home, there is no telling what food residue is on hands, bowls, mixing utensils, etc.

Even if you and every mom you know would never do something like this, it doesn't mean that there isn't a single parent in the district who won't. The only way to solve the problem is to mandate food that has been prepared professionally by someone with a food handler's permit.

Our school has gone to store purchased foods as well..... Has to do with severe egg allergies as well as peanut allergies. So it is safer for everyone. I will be honest; I am very OCD about other poeple's cooking. We wash our hands prior to consuming our meal when we eat out and I wash my hands all the time when cooking. We will never eat/drink behind each other in our home and I have seen people lick fingers when cooking and it drives me nuts. So I have a rule..... If I have not seen your kitchen and how you cook then I will not eat your food. I know we are not aware what is going on in a restaurant; but I truly hope they are govern by enough rules that this is limited.

So I am happy the schools have gone to this. I know some people are just plain nasty. I watch people wash their hands in the bathrooms of public places. The little water on the hands without soap is just plain useless.... If you do not believe me stand in a public restroom while pretending to mess with your hair. I bet more do NOT obey the soap & friction through the "Happy Birthday/ABC song" than do....

I don't think it is political. It is just that so many kids have allergies and it would be rather easy to sneak any substance, good or bad, into a homemade item.

I agree that store bought baked goods are much more expensive and not as tasty. However baked good from a store are prepared with strict rules for cleanliness and come with an ingredient lable. So many people have dietary restrictions and can easily see what is in the items they are eating.

I understand, C.- but it was primarily an allergy issue in our school that caused its spread. We had a couple students (one with milk allergies, and another with SEVERE peanut allergies) that were always 'singled' out with a different treat-- all the students would get the pink frosted cup cake and the student with the allergies would be given the 'special' treat that their parent had provided in bulk at the beginning of the year, just in case they were needed.
I guess the same fun experience might have to be moved from the classroom to your home- have a holiday party there ? Sorry, no easy solution I guess.

Food allergies -- Homemade treats don't come with a list of ingredients.

Liability -- If a kid gets sick from homemade treats lawsuits will follow.

The school my daughter goes to no outside food is allowed at all. If there is a b-day they bake the cake their, or cookies...I now for the school she goes to it has a lot to do with allergies. But I can see how they don't want to take the risk of students getting sick with all the sue happy people out there!

I too ran across this issue recently. I think the driving force is to keep kids healthy. Some kids have allergies, and with homemade treats you don't necessarily know the ingredients. Also with more young ones having diabetes these days, they need to know the calorie counts. These are the only things that I can think of. I know it is frustrating, but this allows for people to think outside the box as well. My son and I recently found a big package of pencils to give out for Halloween instead of treats. Just my thoughts...

1 / 3