Homemade Natural Disinfectant

In an effort to save some money, and keep toxins out of our home, I have been searching for a natural disinfectant cleaner for our bathrooms and kitchen, that I could make myself. I have read that you can mix vinegar and water and add rosemary or tea tree essential oils and that helps with the disinfecting. Has anyone tried this??? I don’t know how much I trust regular online searches when it comes to my family’s well-being.

Thanks Mamas!!

The recipe that you listed is pretty much the exact recipe that I've been using for almost a year now. I take 1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup water, about 3 drops of tea tree oil and 3 drops of thyme oil. It's a great disinfectant - thyme kills just about anything. The vinegar smell dissipates very quickly. I feel great knowing that I'm not spraying toxic chemicals in my house.

Here is a great website for the "Many Uses of Vinegar" - http://www.versatilevinegar.org/usesandtips.html

Tea tree oil is an excellent disinfectant. It is effective against bacteria, viruses and molds. In fact, a hospital in California did a study where they used tea tree oil to clean with for a month, and it was just as effective as their normal bleach-based cleaner. If you only want to disinfect, just water and TTO will do it. Vinegar is good for cutting soap scum on mirrors/showers. It is also a fairly good disinfectant on its own. Other essential oils have cleaning and disinfecting properties, and some I use just to keep things smelling fresh and pleasant.

One thing to keep in mind when switching to a natural cleaner - Windex and othercommercial window cleaners contain wax. When you first switch to a natural cleaner, you might see streaking on your windows/mirrors. This does not mean your homemade cleaner is not working - it is just trying to clear the wax buildup. Try adding a couple drops of castille soap (Dr. Bronner's is a very common, easy to find brand) to your window cleaner just until the buildup is cleared.

Microfiber cloths are also very effective for cleaning without even using chemical cleaners. I use microfiber cloths and plain water to clean my mirrors, and it works great. Follow the washing directions carefully for microfiber, and wash them by themselves to maintain their effectiveness. The ones in the auto section of WalMart or Target are much cheaper than the ones in the cleaning section, and they are exactly the same thing. If you have a Sam's Club membership, theirs are the cheapest - about $11 for 25 large ones versus $2-4 apiece for the ones in the cleaning section of most stores!

On final thought, both baking soda and vinegar are good for cleaning; however, remember that baking soda is a base and vinegar is an acid. Cleaning recipes that combine the two will not be as effective, since they neutralize each other. Keep researching online; there are a ton of great recipes available. If you want to contact me directly, I think I have some stored in my computer that I would be happy to send you.

Best of luck,
S. L

It's amazing how nature provides so much of what we need and I applaud you for making this change.

Most Oils are antiseptic and inhibit the growth of bateria, lemon oil in particluar.

To create a spray for cleaning and disinfecting or a solution for mopping floors, etc
2 1/2 cups water
10 drops of lemon oil
8 drops of eucalyptus
5 drops of rosemary
3 drops of lemongrass
use to wip down cabinets, sinks, tubs, toilets, doorknobds, fixtures, etc to protect from bateria

Cleanser
1 C baking soda
2 drops of peppermint
5 drops of rosemary
3 drops of lavender

Fungus and Mold prevention
2 1/2 cups of water
10 drops of Tea Tree oil
add to spray bottle and shake well

For high QUALITY, NO filler oils, I trust this site
http://www.###-###-####.myforevergreen.org/

There are so many things you can do with essential oils, if you'd like more cleaning recipes, let me know.

I hope that helps and happy cleaning!

I hvae used half white vinigar and half water before. I didnt like the mixture on glass or windows though. You can go over them when dry and rub the film and it does come off. I worked house cleanig for people who loved the vinigar and water mix and said it was the best cleanr. It does take a while to get used to the vinigar smell in your home.The tee tree would probably make a wonderful smell added to the vingar you could try it. I have also used lemon juice and water. I never felt comfortable about using the vinigar on by bathrooms. I have been told that vinigar will disinfect. I like to get a big bottle and just put a drop of bleach in it.I was told by a dentist I worked for that just a drop of bleach in water will do the job you dont need to use alot .That was what they used in the old days. It is not as toxic as the heavy comercial cleaners. Boy it is cheap to make! Oh baking soda and water mixed with water is great. Youi can mix it in a bottle.This is my other favorite. Store cleaners are expensive and toxic!
I hope this helps.

I have used vinegar & baking soda for countertops, sinks & my glass top stove and the mixture works great. I still have many store bought cleaners I am working my way through and once I am done with them I will be using the vinegar & water mixture as it is healthier and cheaper. I am not sure about the disinfecting status of the mixture though.

Have a GREAT day!

Good for you! I make all of my own cleaning products too. Vinegar is great for so many things.

For a cheap disinfectant have you tried Hydrogen Peroxide? You can dilute it as well. If you are cleaning a bathroom or shower, you can use is to treat mold, bacteria and viruses. Plus, you can buy a bottle for about .50 cents.

Take care,

I too like the natural cleaning, it is so much safer for my son.
I found a store online that is cheeper than the department stores, and they make it here in Idaho.
The disinfectant uses thyme, tea tree, and lemon.

Good luck finding what you want for your house. I have included the link to more information if any one wants to check it out.

www.ChangingStores.info

mother to Kai

1 / 3