Homeless Friend with 3 Kids Living in Hotel

So I just found out today that one of my friends and her 3 kids became homeless about 2 weeks ago. The state has put her up in a nearby hotel until she gets on her feet...she has been unemployed for almost 3 years and has very little support. I'm looking to put together a big bag of stuff for her and kids this weekend....she asked for a hotpot, to make coffee or hot chocolate...I'm going to lend her my George Foreman grill so she can make grilled cheese, whatever.....a few bags of groceries and a bag of toiletries. Any other ideas of things that would be helpful or appreciated? I feel so bad, the circumstances just SUCK!

This happened to my daughter once so I'm just trying to think of the various things I got for her.

They will probably need some cheap dishes/silverware/cups, etc. to eat off of. I would just get very inexpensive stuff from the dollar store. Also, things like can openers, a couple of inexpensive dish towles/wash cloths, a couple of storage bowls with lids.

Oh dear, that sucks. How 'bout free childcare while she finds a new job?

:(

I would want an electric burner - a single one is less than $15. Does she have a fridge or microwave in her room? A coffee pot? If no fridge, she will need a cooler to keep foods and milk cold.
a small Christmas tree?

bedding....I hate hotel bedding especially knowing it is used by hundreds/thousands of other people and not always properly washed. (I read an article that said the comforters are only washed once monthly unless there are visible stains on them). an electric skillet would be awesome as well, you can cook a lot of different things in there. maybe coloring books and crayons for the kids, if they are of an age to color. a nice supply of paper plates, plastic silverware etc if they dont have their own with them. maybe a gift card for gas or groceries etc. you are such a good friend to help. maybe also a "gift certicate" or two for watching her kids overnight to give her a break, or for them all to stay for a weekend. God Bless You!!

ETA: maybe a nice supply of kool-aid for the kids, or a case of bottled water. some rolls of quarters to do laundry at the laundry mat. mayabe even a laundry basket or two. sorry if my ideas are weird, not knowing what she was able to take with her makes me want to list everything...lol. maybe an ironing board, and iron.

Go to a thrift store and get her a little Christmas tree, ornaments, stockings, a wreath. You can get that stuff dirt cheap at thrift stores. For $20 You can let her kids know Santa didn't forget them and the Christmas

She can call the front desk of the hotel and request a microwave and fridge. You can do a lot with a microwave.

Are you affiliated with a church or other agency where they could donate or assist her during this time? How terrible, especially around the holidays.

I would get something to keep the kids occupied like board games. I would get laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, toothbrushes and toothpaste and whatever other toiletrees you can think of.

Maybe one weekend you can take her kids to give them something to do and give her some rest. I wish your friend good luck.

How sad for your friend...hearing things like this make me so very grateful for the wonderful life I have that I often take for granted. What you are doing is so nice and very generous...another thing you can give her that is FREE is your time...watch the kids while she looks for a job, or ask her and her kids over for dinner once a week, or to come over and watch a movie and just hang out.

Sometimes, our time is all we have to give, but it sure means a lot! Prayers that things improve for your friend soon!

1 / 3