Home Remedy for Cold

My youngest daughter has come down with a cold. I don't really want to give her cold medicine, but I would like to help her feel better. If anyone has any "home remedy" ideas please let me know. Her symptoms are: a runny nose, scratchy throat and cough. Thanks,

Thanks for all of your advice. There were some really great ideas. She is starting to feel much better now.

Hey M.,

Have you ever used tea tree oil? It really is amazing stuff. Here is a recipe for the cold using it, very simple! Get a humidifier and put it in her room. Put 10 drops of the oil in it and let her sleep with it. You can also put it in the bath water at night when she is getting ready for bed and also rub a small amount on her chest! Tea tree oil is amazing!

www.SwitchingStores.com/tamiandrews

I noticed a lot of people suggested Honey by the spoon in the mouth I for one wouldn't do that. Honey would be like Peanut butter or oil if the child chokes while its in the mouth they could get it into the lungs; if they get enough in the lungs they will die. It coats the lungs and there isn't anything they can do to clean it out and the lungs quit functioning. I know this can happen with peanut butter and oil and honey seems like the same consitancy.
I am going to try the Vicks on the feet though.

I love the Vicks Vapo Bath. It really helps my daughter when she has a cold. I steam up the bathroom really good and put her in a Vapo Bath. You can just see her nose empty out. I also like the saline nose spray.

Hey M.,

www.SwitchingStores.com/tamiandrews

I am a chiropractor and have used natural methods to deal with health issues for over 20 years. What I have found that works best is a natural juice, called mangosteen juice. There is only one brand that uses the "whole fruit," and that is Xango. You can't buy it in stores, but can order online at: www.drtina.gomangosteen.com.

Also, the human body is an amazing thing. It is capable, and has all the resources to heal itself from colds, and even the flu. It usually takes a few days, but the symptoms will go away, and the body will actually be stronger from fighting off the infection naturally.

T. Theriot, D.C.

M.,

Why in the world wouldn't you want to give your daughter cold medicine?

If you want to suffer through the symptoms for yourself, that is one thing, but to make your child suffer through them when there are perfectly good and safe cold remedies available is not fair to her.

There is a lot of false information about medicine out on the internet, but there isn't a single cough or cold medicine that is producted and sold today that isn't safe for your child at the recommended dosages.

As strange as it may sound: a teaspoonful of honey. It calms the urge to cough, soothes the throat and helps to open the nasal passages slightly. If you need proof it finally made it into Parenting magazine this month, although my family and others I know have used this for years. Oh and to aide further put Vick's vapor rub onto your daughter's feet and/or her chest. Then put socks on her feet. For whatever reason it works and in some studies actually worked faster than putting it on the chest, especially for babies that you don't want getting it near their face.
Oh, and the humidifier! It has been a life saver for us, because our son has mild allergies since he was about eight months. We run it every night! Our doctor told us not to use vaporizers though, or anything with moist hot air, only moist cold air because hot air can cause swelling of the nasal passages.
I hope your little one is better soon!

I don't know how old your daughter is, but if she's old enough to eat honey, have her hold a teaspoon in her mouth and let it slowly dissolve and run down her throat for the cough. Also, use a humidifier or if you don't have one, have her sit in the bathroom while you run the hot shower. For the stuffy nose, plain saline nasal drops.

Other posts sound good, some not familiar, but the oldest probably known to man is good ole chicken soup. Just the warm broth if you can get her to drink it will do wonders. A small amount several times a day will not hurt her and will soothe that throat. Actually this does mean homemade so you may get a meal for your family as well; chicken salad, chicken and rice, chicken and dumplings, chicken pot pie, etc. On second thought the humidifier may be easier.

1 / 3