Home Appraisal -- How Neat & Clean Does My House Need to Be?

We're having our home appraised today in hopes of refinancing. How neat/clean does the house need to be? Does it factor in at all? My house is by no means a mess, but I'm just curious if a super neat/clean house might help us get a higher appraisal.

No it does not.
They don't look at how 'neat' a home is.
They look at the home.... the structure of it and its integrity and square footage etc., damages or not, if the building is up to code etc.

While I agree with most of the posts..I really do think you would want to make a good impression especially if pictures are going to be taken. For someone who's been fighting to lower my property taxes...I am finding that the entire process of appraising and assessing is still human judgement meaning subjective..

appraisals are based of the square footage and acreage of your house and land it has nothing to do with the cleanliness of your house relax

pride of ownership is important...not a super clean spotless house but a nicely kept house is good

Not very. We gave our appraiser access to the basement but she was really quick. She tallied the bedrooms, bathrooms, looked at the ceilings, walked around the outside and was done in less than 30 minutes. I was a lot faster than I thought it would be. The appraiser is looking at the house, not the stuff in it.

When we got appraised, I was surprised because the appraiser took pictures of EVERYTHING, even inside closets.

Mind you, I don't live in a pig sty but I was not prepared for my closets which are not organized well to be photographed!

The contents of the house do not add to or take away from the appraisel. The appraisel is for the structure.

I know that it is not SUPPOSED to factor into the appraisal, but I have a feeling that there is SOME part of the appraiser's sub-conscious that might influence the number a bit according to cleanliness.

To be safe, I'd do a good deep-cleaning and de-cluttering prior to it.

Also, not sure about other places, but we have had 3 appraisals in the past 5 years and the appraiser ALWAYS came inside the home. And yes, they do now take pictures of every room, as there was a huge amount of fraud taking place.

it doesn't...

the appraiser needs access to all the rooms, attic, crawl space, basement, etc. so they can see all the space...walls, etc. so they get a proper assessment of the property...

1 / 3