Holes in Knees of pants...patch or Buy New?

I am curious how other moms handle this situation. My little boy plays on the floor all the time, hardwood and carpets. My situtaion seems that a pair of pants lasts him 1 month and there is a big gapping hole in his knees.
Do you patch?? Or buy new ones??
I guess I just get frustrated that I just bought him 4 new pairs of pants before Christmas and he comes home again yesterday from school with a tear in one knee and a huge rip in the other...they are completely unwearable now.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will be heading out to buy some patches to repair/save some of his pants. The problem I was seeing was they were name brand (Gap, Izod, Levi's) pants and I thought they should be holding up longer than this. Even is the patched pants are for weekends only, at least that will save his non-holed pants for school.
Thanks

Jackie Chan's Mom,
I was a foster parent of a yound boy. When he came to live with us I was told he had been severely punished for wearing holes in his pants. The punishment was to crawl on the rough rug with bare knees until he was crying and his knees were damaged.
I immediately went to the store and bought jeans with the strongest weave and built in patches and then placed patches over them. He NEVER again had a problem but he was able to be a BOY. It sounds like you have a fantastic boy who loves to be active. I would buy clothing to match his lifestyle.

A little about me: I fostered 7 children of various ages and raised one girl. She is expecting my first grandchild.

OK, so I am slow...but oh well. Sears does in fact have a replacement program. If you buy any brand they sell they will replace them free of charge, they must be the same brand and same price. with receipt. However if you buy the Sears brand..."toughskins" then you do not need a receipt. you can exchange them in about 2 minutes. they have never given me a problem and never even so much as asked my name...I will always buy toughskins...they have saved me 100's of dollars.

I have found that the pants that are stone washed, or any wash other than new blue, wear a lot faster and get holes in them faster, so I try to avoid those. In some pants if the hole isn't too bad, I patch it (from inside the pants) and let him keep wearing them to school. The bad ones become his play clothes for the rest of the winter, and then I cut them off and hem them (at the holes) for summer shorts.

Didn't see your request until now, but Sears will REALLY give you a BRAND NEW PAIR OF TOUGHSKIN jeans if your son puts a hole in them. You just have to sign up for their kidvantage program --which is FREE!! Over the years we had to trade jeans in for so many new pairs!!!! As long as you are trading for the same size, you are good to go!
Can't beat that deal!

Jackie Chan's Mom,

Patch what you have and then when you do buy new got the Lee jeans at Kohl's that have reinforced knees. I'm not a big fan of the reinforced look but at least it's not a hole! Good luck!

I also have a little boy who ruins knees. He is not a rough-playing kid but spends hours on the floor playing with cars, skateboards, anything with wheels! I have started buying ALL his jeans and I do mean all at Sears. (He wears mostly jeans, just likes them best.) I loved the double-knee toughskins although I can't remember now if I was able to find them when I went to replace them a couple of months ago. You do not need your receipt to replace toughskin clothes but you do to replace other things and make sure you do enroll in the Kidvantage program. They will take Levis and Lee with receipts; I never can seem to find mine UGH.

:) Good luck. Little boys are so much fun!

Check out Bruzwear pants! They are AMAZING!!

Hi J. R,

Did you know that Sears has a kids club program and if you buy the "tough skins" brand they gauarentee the knees! Yes that's right, if the knees where out before you need a new size you just take them back to the store with your receipt pick out the same size new and they will exchange them no questions asked. They do the same thing with shoes! I have 3 boys and I totally understand the knee issue. The only negative is they don't go past size 7.

My son is in the 8th grade and cared about what he wore to school this year, so we bought American Eagle and Aeropostle jeans vs Old Navy, etc. They didn't last as long before getting "bigger" holes...yes, I can't believe I paid what I did for jeans that already had holes in them. Once the holes were big enough that you could see his skin, the school advised he couldn't wear them that way any longer. I did purchase patches at JoAnn's and "fixed" the jeans...adding the iron-on patches from inside so you couldn't even tell thare was a patch. He was happy and so was I...much cheaper than new jeans! One pair actually has two patches on each leg...American Eagle jeans are worthless in my opinion!

1 / 3