Hives

My 4 year old son starting breaking out with hives a week ago. I called the doctor, who told me more than likely it's an allergic reaction to something. I could bring him in, but all they would be able to do is confirm they are hives, if he has the hives at that time. She said my best bet is to investgate and try to figure out what is causing the hives. That was last Tuesday. The hives seem to come and go. I haven't switched deteregent, soaps, or introduced any new foods. My son has never show signs of allergies before this, and neither my husband or I have allergies.
It is really hard to try to pinpoint what is causing this. Just wondering if there is anyone out there with thoughts on this? I have been giving him benedryll when he has an outbreak. Seems to be only 1 or 2 times a day. Besides the hives he has not been complaining of anything. The doctor told me as long as he's not having trouble breathing or swollowing I don't need to worry, but we all know how hard that is!

Any and ALL thoughts would be appreciated!!

THANK YOU!!! It is nice to know that other children experience the same issues. It is also nice to have fresh ideas other than mine and my husband.
This morning no hives, so we'll see how the day goes. I wanted to comment on a few things people had posted. I have been using the dye-free benadryl. It isn't 5th diease, I have seen that before. His hives look like welts that are red or have red around them. We do have a family dog, it is strictly and outdoor dog. We've had her since before my son was born, but lately he has been playing with her more and hugging on her more. I definitely think that could be a possiblity so I am trying to limit his contact with her. I also have noticed it seems the hives tend to show up at night, first thing in the morning, and after he's been playing hard. It could be what some of you posted about with his temperature rising.
He still hasn't complained, but I'm just going to keep writing things down and hopefully they will go away soon. I really do appreciate all the suggestions! THANK YOU!

Are they true hives or possibly bug bites? fleas, bed bugs, ants outside, etc. or even an allergic reaction to mosquitoes or the other mentioned bugs. My daughter gets a hyper reaction to any bug bite, really looking like welts. Has he been rolling in new mulch (playing trucks etc)or playing near chemical lawns. The weather is getting better and I am thinking of external causes rather than internal (food allergies etc). Good luck!

Have you bought him any new clothes at Wal Mart?
My sister bought a pair of pants and she broke out both times she tried to wear them. Even after she had washed them once. She had to make 2 trips to the emergency room. She got rid of the pants and has had no trouble since. B. H, Indiana Hope this helps you out!

Hi, i have been a friend of hives and my son had them once as a baby. I had them 2 yrs. ago for almost a year. I found that stress is a huge cause of hives> I went to the doctor and they wanted to put me on anti dpress. i didnt take them but once i got rid of some of the stress they finally went away ,what a irritable thing to deal with. Clariton and benydryl saved me..........

If there have been no new foods introduced or no changes in detergents or anything then he may just have a viral infection. Viral infections can cause hives. It is nothing to worry about and if it is a viral infection the hives will clear up when the virus is gone. There is nothing the doctor can do with a virus anyway. Antibiotics are for bacterial infections. It is just a matter of time before they clear up. Go ahead and keep giving him the benedryl though. That will help if they bother him. My youngest had a viral infection that caused him to break out in hives. I took him to the doctor and that's all it was and it took about 3 wks. but they went away.

I am 31 and have been married for almost 12 yrs. My husband and I have 3 boys ages 10,7 and 4.

My 2 year old daughter started getting hives in January. The pediatrician said that if it lasted more than 6 weeks to see an allergist. SOme days would be worse than others. After 6 weeks I made an appointment with an allergist. He said that 98% of the time you will never find the cause of the hives so it is not worth the testing. It's called idiopathic urticaria (hives). He put my daughter on Zyrtec and Zantac and it really has helped. I have still been trying to figure out what the cause is, but it is so difficult. The allergist also said that over 50% of the time it will disappear within 2 years.

My 11 y/o daughter is going through the same thing. I am 99% sure hers are related to stress. Our Dr. put her on Zyrtec (regular not Zyrtec-D). They make a brand that is specifically for Hives and one that is for allergies. At the same time my 4 1/2 y/o was having some allergies for the 1st time in her life! He also recommended Zyrtec. I did buy the regular Zyrtec for allergies and gave it t both my daughters and it has helped immensely. I don't give it eveyday, only when needed and it is only a once a day medication so you don't have to re-dose every 4 hours like the benadryl. It doesn't make either one of my daughters drowsy or hyper. Good luck!

My son is 4 and gets heat rash still like when he was a baby and he also gets a rash from the sun. I have to use special sunscreen on him so that he doesn't break out from the sunscreen. It has to be all organic. Has he been in the sun? Best of luck!

Hi M.. I have an 8yr. Old daughter who has went through something simular two times. The first time she was 4. We thought for 4 years she had an allergic reaction to cephalexin(an antibiotic). She was covered from head to toe in lacey like red splotches that were very itchy. We would give her benadryl but that only helped with the itching for a little bit. They would never disappear. It took 3 weeks for those ones to go away. This past october she started breaking out again really bad again. I took her to the doctor again, and this doctor also thought it was an allergic reaction. She put her in the hospital for 5 days and gave her very high doses of steroids. The steroids didnt work either. My mother looked up her syptoms in a medical book and she determined it looked like fifths disease. I asked the doctor and he said no shes to old. On the 4th day in the hospital, she still had them full force. A skin doctor came in and said that she had fifths disease. Since my mom diagnosed it first, dr. Fondak did not charge us for his visit. You might want to either take him to a dermatoligist or look up fifths disease on the internet. We learned that the first time she had it when she was 4, that it was fifths disease also. Good luck!

I have a 6 year old that started breaking out in hives this past Thanksgiving. He had them on his mouth, then on his arm and then on his feet. We couldn't figure it out. He didn't have anything new to eat and he has no known food allergies. After a few days, we finally figured it out...cranberries. He has eaten cranberry sauce many times and loves cranberry juice. We figured out that it is only whole cranberries! Who would have guessed that he could drink the juice and eat the sauce, but not be able to eat actual berries. The only reason we were able to figure it out was because he had spilled it on himself and it touched his arm and feet when it fell. Otherwise, we wouldn't have gifured it out so quickly. Good luck figuring it out...I think it's all about trial and error, unless you go to an allergist!

1 / 3